From the Ground Up - Building a Game Company

Qwillion

First Post
work goes appace.

The dave edited and sent back the two pieces I sent him plus the d20 mastery article which I am sad to say the article was one that needed a great deal of editing due to its rush status at the end of the month.

I hope to stop that from happening again.

Oh and does any one realize how tough it is to find new animals and vermin in a monster book?

Well tommorrow is an early work day and the weekend looks like it will allow for a great deal of work to be done.
I promise once I have the principle work completed I will put out a preview and a questions and answer thread.

Qwillion

First Post
more free stuff

In the battle to bring yoU more free stuff

There is: It's Your Destiny PDF by Randy Madden
The next article of d20 mastery: The 5 minture npc
and Our Map Page has updated with a continental map done by Keith Curtis...Check it out.

www.pencilpushers.net

I will try to pimp P3 to EN world about this stuff later, so that it can make the monday page.

MYTHICAL GAMING!

Last edited:

Qwillion

First Post
pimping acomplished

Front Page
Its nice to see your name on the front page, hell it was nice to see our cartographer’s name on the front page. Heck when was the last time a cartographer’s name was on the front page of enworld?

Reviews
I myself was surprised by the number of reviews that Randy was able to accomplish. I am not sure if I will do any. There is the whole issue of reviewing your competition, yet I might as long as I state my bias ahead of time. You will never find me claiming to be objective.

Mythical Ceations

I like to say that when I read something good I say so. When I first read Randy’s article It’s Your Destiny, I said: “Damn! I wish I had written that!”

A day in the life:
Well what has been going on? I had a very nice telephone conversation with Brandon Ferguson of www.silven.com. Who wanted to make sure I was still working on Here There Be Monsters, he was kind enough to ask for a preview and a chance to review it. (Bias note: Brandon is a friend who I have worked for while writing for Silven Crossroads. Give him a preview? Brandon is lucky if I give him a chance to get off the telephone, when I start talking about HTMB.

We have also had an offer from a friend who wants to join the pencil pusher team. He has a better technical support background than I do that is for sure.

How is HTMB coming along?

HTMB is coming along very well and I must say I am truly happy with my choices. The point of view I am using to relay information about the monsters is perhaps what I love the most. I am also happy with our sections on monster lore, though I will need to sit down after I have created all the monsters and really crunch the numbers. I also just started a policy where I spend a certain amount of time each week working on production. The problem is to many people wanting my time, friends, women, mothers, work, D&D, DOOM 3, I decided I needed to really start putting in time like this was my second job.

What is the Realase date for Here There Be Mosnters?
There is none. There will be no release date until it is ready. I want to do this right the first time. (I also want to beat Randy in having mine done before his with less overhead….j/k)

Thank you for your time.

Qwillion

First Post
Well Gencon was a blast.

Thank you to Hal Greenberg of Mind’s Eye Games, I just stopped by the booth on the last day of the convention to say hi. Hal Greenberg looked a little tired, but he was more than gracious about meeting a would-be-publisher, he thanked Pencil Pushers for doing a review of Pantheons and Pagan Faiths. (Randy did a review of the book using a pdf copy) Hal Greenberg out of nowhere decided to give us a print copy of the book. Perhaps it was a small thing, but the gesture meant a great deal to me.

Brandon Ferguson was nice enough to hang around with me for several hours at the convention and even tried to get me to pimp Here There Be Monsters to almost everyone we met. To say the least when I do get finished with Here There Be Monsters I will owe Brandon more than a few beers.

I spent too much money at Gencon. Yet when I got home Randy had a great surprise for me a picture of a Taurian Npc by Darren M. A. Calvert

Which you can find at the following link: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98535

Well I finished three major pieces over the weekend leaving only seven major pieces left to go. When I finish those, I will have passed a major milestone. Randy is now gearing up to put together a preview of the work we are doing. I expect to be as impressed by the layout as I have been by the artwork and the worldmap.

I am planning on trying to do another major post next week, tomorrow I have to get busy on the next installment of DM Mastery Next level encounters. Heck I may even write a review.

Qwillion

First Post
Exclusive Preview of 13 Reenvisioned Monsters

Well as you may have noticed Bradford Fergeson is a friend of P3. However he recently asked to do an interview with the up and coming monster designers of Monsters and Minions, Creature Weekly and Yours truly.

One of the things you will find out about in the interview is that P3 is doing a revision of all the SRD monsters so that they fit within the Last Dominion Setting. Why? What is wrong with the SRD mosnters? Basicly thier generic, most of the monsters within the Last Dominion are unique individuals. Yet rather than start another massive product when Here There BE Monsters is not yet complete, I am following in the footsteps of Phillip Reed's Ronin Arts and producing a 15 page pdf with 13 Reenvisioned Monsters (one page introduction with new feats qualities creature subtypes etc., one page for the OGL) This will allow you to sample our work at a low cost and faster download for those of you without the blessings of cable.

You can find a great deal more about 13 reenvisioned mosnters and Here There Be Monsters by purchasing the next issue of D20 FILTERED by Silven publishing

Within you will find a preview of Ebonrule a varient animated object, that is also an intelligent greatsword along accopanied by Amanda Roth's wonderous artwork.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Long neglected, but not forgotten!

Pencil Pusher’s is alive and well. As usual, I am moving slower than a snail. What have I been doing you ask?

Conceptualization:
One of the important aspects of a successful product line is a distinct look and feel. So, here is what I am doing about it. We have commissioned a study of melee weapons used in the west – some 30 plus weapons that are unique to the various cultures. Next up is an armor study that will do much the same. Most of the clothing has already been worked out but it might also require some attention. These things seem silly for a small time outfit but IMO these are the very things that will allow us to go beyond small time. The documents are intended for in-house use but have required a bit of time.

Religions:
Working though various aspects of religion and all of its implications. Many of the prime movers in TLD are religious or quasi religious groups, we need to get them right so that they have a good feel to them.

Construction:
I am hip deep in the construction of Tharad – The City of Fountains & the Second City of Middea. A great deal of work and research has already gone into the layout and design of the city which uses a historical model as its basis. On top of designing the city, I also needed to situate the region – since the city sits on top of a limestone shelf providing above ground and subterranean features.

Limestone Wikipedia Entry

Villainy:
Evil draws men together.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Rhetoric

The thrill of Role-playing is very often defined by the villains that we face. Even great settings can tank if the villains aren’t great, so I have been looking into what makes villains shine. This will be released as a 3P freebie, like “It Is Your Destiny.” Speaking of which – nobody has commented on the article?

That Stuff:
First, Steve's stuff is cooking along fine and "Here There Be Monsters" is shaping up well. His first "13 Re-envisioned Monsters" is basically done. With each of these projects - I have to work on layout, PDF, some conceptulization, and keeping up with all the recent changes in distrubution chains.

On the more personal side – I suffered the loss of old faithful, my computer and needed to replace it with a newer quirky model. I am still not all the way settled into the new machine. I and Steve have both had job changes – I got tired of riding a desk and returned to work in a busy ER. I enjoy it a world more than being a desk jockey but it does cut deeply into my writing time.

I guess the watch words would be – “steady at the helm.” I started with piss & vinegar but have mellowed into a nice steady pace that ensures that we do the job right.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I apologize for the vilest of thread necromancy, but I was hoping someone on this thread had any contact info for Randy Madden (Eosin the Red). I worked with him on Under the Dragon’s Banner and would love to contact him again. Feel free to DM me. Thanks.

Remove ads