From the GSL news post: What are Occupations?

I think this hasn't been discussed yet. I found this interesting tidbit when i read The Rouses post about the change in terminology in the new GSL. Emphasis mine:
Scott_Rouse said:
Definition of Character Creation:

Character creation means the process of generating and assigning initial scores to abilities, selecting a race, selecting a starting class, assigning initial skill points, selecting initial feats, selecting initial talents, selecting an occupation, and picking an initial alignment.

So, what are occupations? Just background fluff for your character or will there be mechanics tied to your occupation, like skill packages? Discuss. :) :6:

Voss

First Post
Maybe its a justification to dump the craft and profession skils. If you have occupation: sailor, you don't have to worry about dumping perfectly good skill points in the trash to have a character who can steer a boat, in order to match his background.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Also what if it allowed "mundane rituals" (yes... I still am hoping for them) that relate to your occupation.

Blacksmith: Mundane Ritual: of Crafting Armour, Repairing Armour.

Carpenter: Craft object

Alchemist: Create substance

The list would go on and on.

TwinBahamut

First Post
If D20 Modern style Occupations are in 4E, even in a limited form, I will be very happy. I like having that clear marker of what kind of person the PC is when he is not adventuring, and what general realm of skills he has outside of the skill system.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I would like it too, since in most of my games. The PCs don't decide their career will be adventuring (that whole concept of career-adventurers doesn't exist in most of my worlds) so generally before they are thrust into the stories lime-light they have had ordinary/semi-ordinary careers before hand.

As such, having an occupation you can pick would help push that idea along.

Ranger REG

Explorer
TwinBahamut said:
If D20 Modern style Occupations are in 4E, even in a limited form, I will be very happy. I like having that clear marker of what kind of person the PC is when he is not adventuring, and what general realm of skills he has outside of the skill system.
Yeah, you could have a cleric who had a background in carpentry. (Yes, it's just a coincidence.)

Remove ads