• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frostburn: To buy or not to buy?

haiiro

First Post
Crothian said:
Get Frost and Fur. Its by Monkey God and its damn good. It might not have penguion familiars but what it does have is really good. Plus, and this is silver lining on a bad thing, Monkey God is no longer making d20 products so you should be able to find it for a good price. I've seen them going for 50% off.

At their GenCon booth, all of their d20 stuff was exactly that: 50% off cover. I took a look at Frost & Fur, but it didn't seem like my cup of tea (I did snag a copy of From Stone to Steel, however -- very much my cup of tea!).

Pants

First Post
Crothian said:
Get Frost and Fur. Its by Monkey God and its damn good. It might not have penguion familiars but what it does have is really good. Plus, and this is silver lining on a bad thing, Monkey God is no longer making d20 products so you should be able to find it for a good price. I've seen them going for 50% off.
Looked at it. Not my style.

Aeolius

Adventurer
I'm still holding out hope for "Crosstides", an environmental sourcebook detailing encounters on and below the surface of the sea. It should accompany "Races of Water".

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Probably get this and Frost and Fur. While I'm sorry to see Monkey God go the way of...well monkey gods, I'll get this one half off and the other...well just to get a comparison.

(Much like I did with Planar Handbook and the PDF of Beyond Countless Doorways. Obviously I liked Beyond WAY better.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
On the down side, I don't have much use for the book at present. On the plus side, I have immense respect for several of the authors. I'll probably pick it up after reading some reviews.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Dark Psion said:
I am not sure about buying Frostburn. It feels like a splatbook, but at hardcover prices.
Then I noticed this article at WotC site; 10 reasons why you should get Frostburn

After reading them, I feel less likely to buy this book.

What do you guys think?

One trouble with previews is that they rarely give you the feel of the entirity of the book. Of course this book is going to have feats, spells, prestige classes and the like.

However, it may have other stuff as well. Have a look at Races of Stone. There is hardly any game information in the first half of the book! It's mostly description of the cultures of various races.

Cheers!

GothamGM

First Post
George Strayton, one of the authors, is a buddy so I'm assuredly a little biased. But I was able to participate in some of the playtesting for Frostburn--and I'll be picking this up the day it's released. In no way did it require an arctic campaign to be useful. If nothing else, try leafing through it in the store rather than letting the WoTC preview decide for you--I think most DMs will really like something like this.

Peter

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads