D&D 5E Future format of books that mimic SCAG: Will you buy them?

Will you buy future setting books if they mimic the format of SCAG?

• Yes

Votes: 89 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • Only if I can get it really cheap.

Votes: 43 28.7%

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I only bought SCAG due to Amazon selling it for 40% off and free 2 day shipping. No way I'd pay $40 for such a book at the FLGS, which I'd rather support than Amazon.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Nearly 60% would buy similar is a fairly large chunk, and seems contrary to the unhappy reviews that are popping up. Perhaps its a case of the vocal minority.

Not saying their concerns are invalid, just that they are not as prevalent, or as commonly held as they thought.

gyor

Legend
Bought the SCAG the day it was released, haven't regretted it.

Am looking forward to the Heartlands AG, the Moonsea AG, the Unapproachable East AG, and more.

--
Pauper

There is a sidebar that actually lists different regions and the nations make them up and I had the feeling that the sidebar was a hint of future source books.

The regions were the:

Cold Lands (Damara, Impiltur, Narfell, Sossal)
The Heartlands (Cormyr, Sembia, the Dales, and the Moonsea).
The Old Empires (Mulhorand, Unther, Chessenta)
The Lands of Intrigue (Calimshan, Amn, Tethyr)

I don't think the Unapproachible East was mentioned, but that was likely oversight.

And obviously smaller powers in the area would get mentioned like Tymanther in the Old Empires book.

And I'd add Vesper and Westgate to the Heartlands book.

But I still want a FRCG.

I think the Old Empires book will be next, they actually put more info into the region then they did to some of the closer regions, but that could be because of the greater changes and shifts in the region.

Erin M. Evans next book is Tymanther so it would dove tail with that as well.

Vael

Legend
I should note that I passed on SCAG, but may reconsider if I find myself in another game or two where the non-crunch material is of great value. There's no Adventurer's League support nearby.

Honestly, if it's a good book that I think I'll use, then yes, I'll buy it. An Eberron Adventurer's Guide would probably be an instant buy for me. It'd have to be a non-Realms book, I don't see another region interesting me at all.

Mercule

Adventurer
I know you were tongue-in-cheek, but....

Hard to say. It seems to me that there has been the practice of just having the Forgotten Realms "swallow" other campaign settings whole.
Which is reason #12 why there are very few folks lukewarm on the setting. And why I despise it. Still not sure why Lolth exists in the Realms -- she's very, very clearly part of the Greyhawk pantheon (and don't give me the line about shared powers, that only holds if Pelor, Hextor, Wee Jas, etc. have a following on Toril).

I am looking forward to the day when there is a new Campaign Event (The Days of Spellsundering and Troubling?) that causes Greyhawk, Mystara, Eberron, and Darksun to magically appear as parts of Forgotten Realms.
At that point, I walk away from D&D, permanently.

Mercule

Adventurer
While I would have preferred a bigger and more robust full campaign book, I would still buy books like SCAG in the future.
I'd meant to note this, as well.

Despite my rather positive statements on SCAG, my first choice would still be to remove the need to refer to a book from a prior edition, at least not for anything other than corner case questions. I've reconciled myself to that not happening, and I'm generally OK with it, as I tend to prefer freedom to act over comprehensive data.

Mercule

Adventurer
I was being partially tongue-in-cheek. I don't think that FR will swallow GH and Darksun whole. Probably not.

But I do think that FR has had the habit of taking on parts (and sometimes the wholes!) of everything. And, as you point out, this is why people either love it or hate it (I tend to agree with your take). It's the kitchen-sink of campaign settings- it's trying to be everything for everyone.

Personally, I like GH for standard fantasy, because it just feel so much more ... open. Instead of telling you what is happening, it hints at things for the DM to create. And I like settings like Dark Sun and Eberron because they have a unified point of view.

FR, on the other hand, just keeps accumulating detritus. Some people absolutely love it (and I get that), but it's not for me. I do think it's a little aggravating that whenever something really cool is featured in another campaign setting, you can almost be guaranteed that it will pop up in FR. Llolth, Vecna, you name it.
I have nothing to add, other than you're welcome at my table, anytime.

tsotate

First Post
Hard to say. It seems to me that there has been the practice of just having the Forgotten Realms "swallow" other campaign settings whole.

I am looking forward to the day when there is a new Campaign Event (The Days of Spellsundering and Troubling?) that causes Greyhawk, Mystara, Eberron, and Darksun to magically appear as parts of Forgotten Realms.

That was basically the metaplot point that made me leave D&D Online. Eberron was suddenly connected to FR (through the Abyss), and all their developer time switched over to FR.

Remove ads