• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future of D&D Subforum?

delericho

Legend
Is there any chance we could get a "Future of D&D" subforum, or something similar - a place to house all the 5e speculation threads?

I actually quite enjoy the speculation, but I certainly understand the frustrations of the 4e fans at us polluting "their" forum with constant speculation about its end.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
While it might be nice to have such a subforum, I fear that such a subforum would require a *significant* amount of attention by the mods. Despite the good intentions of a large number of people, I suspect that there would be an equally loud group of people who would use the presence of such a forum as permission to (try to) turn every thread into a "4E sux!!" thread.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would support such a forum, but never visit it.

Overall I support a larger number of forums for controversial or niche topiocs so the people who like those things can have their fun, but others are not annoyed.

I can think of topics that I enjoy but would annoy many of you, of course.,

delericho

Legend
While it might be nice to have such a subforum, I fear that such a subforum would require a *significant* amount of attention by the mods.

I considered that. But then, don't the existing threads already require significant mod input, and annoy the people who have 'their' forums polluted?

Plus, I would have thought a dedicated subforum would make handling it a bit easier - at times when it gets really bad, they can just lock the forum to new posts, while continuing to move all 5e threads there, effectively shutting down that discussion for a time. (I'm also not sure if there's a "forum ban" option to match the "thread ban" option the mods have.)

Anyway, I'm not all that bothered to be honest. I just noticed an uptick in 4e fans complaining about 5e threads (and not without justification, IMO).

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I considered that. But then, don't the existing threads already require significant mod input, and annoy the people who have 'their' forums polluted?

Plus, I would have thought a dedicated subforum would make handling it a bit easier - at times when it gets really bad, they can just lock the forum to new posts, while continuing to move all 5e threads there, effectively shutting down that discussion for a time. (I'm also not sure if there's a "forum ban" option to match the "thread ban" option the mods have.)

Anyway, I'm not all that bothered to be honest. I just noticed an uptick in 4e fans complaining about 5e threads (and not without justification, IMO).

Having a subforum dedicated to the topic might be looked upon by certain people (rightly or wrongly is besides the point) as tacit acceptance/approval by EN World of the idea that 4E is a failure, 5E is coming, etc.

That is not to say that all people would think that. I think that it would only be a very minor part of the population that would think so. However, that minor part, who would rather talk about how 4E sucks, as opposed to how 4E could be improved during the making of 5E (a thin line is between the two, but I think that it is an important one that has a large effect on the resulting tone of the discussion) would be very loud and create a lot more ork for the mods than they currently do in the 4E forum.

I am afraid that it would turn into the old Concerns and Criticisms forum on the old WotC site (or current 4E General when I am feeling tired and grumpy.)

Edit to add - I think that there could be some *very* good and interesting discussion that could come out of such a forum. I just fear that it would cause more harm than good, if that makes sense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I understand the impulse to ask for such a forum, but I have an effective solution already: I simply don't participate in most of those threads unless the OP asks an intelligent question to start the ball rolling.

Because some of those threads really are good...but most are not.

Remove ads