Galaxy of Intrigue

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well, no thread of this yet. Not surprised really. These latter products of the line don't seem to have generated much interest on these boards.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the newest SW book. It's not the best resource that they've released but there were interesting stuff. I like that they've given the Neimodians a decent PC treatment, and also nice to see the Bith have an entry too.

Didn't have time to read the skill challenge chapter yet but I suppose it is pretty much the same as in D&D 4e.

The organisation chapter was fun to read but it will take some work if you want to use those with the older organisation rules. I especially liked the Firebirds.

Feats and Talents are what you would expect from a splatbook. They don't really have anything special anymore. Though my girlfriend who plays a noble in my game did like the Cut the Red Tape feat. It allows you to use Knowledge Bureaucracy in place of Gather Information.

Only skimmed through the new planet section but it had some neat ideas, and some that I didn't like. The history part sounded like something stolen from Pocahontas, and makes it feel like riding on Avatar's idea. But then the stormy atmosphere that pretty much prevents unaided landing and isolates the planet from communication and all that seem really cool.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
The new Species crunch, Talents, & feats are the big draw for me. The new planet stuff is nice, but it's not the main draw for me ATM.

I am wondering what new Species will be covered in the scout-themed book due in a few months. I'm glad "classic"/film-featured Species like the Neimoidians, Umbarans, & Bith are provided, so it has me wondering/hoping who's in like for the next book. Tusken Raiders (hopefully)? Perhaps other species who've only received an abbreviated write-up in other books, like the Advozse, Chadra-Fan, Devaronians, & the like.

Then again, I was hoping to see Pantorans in the Galaxy of Intrigue book (weren't any, from the brief if-store glimpse I had). I know they could simply get the near-Human treatment, but their relative "comfort" in the cold as depicted in Clone Wars made me wonder otherwise.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Any news on the new scoundrel + gunslinger feats? Those are the ones I'm most interested in. I heard the scoundrel stuff is explosives based :D

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
In general, the later books are less exciting to me than the early ones, it's true. I'm still getting them for the sense of completeness, which probably isn't a good reason, especially since I'm not currently in a Star Wars game.

Mechanically, the big move in this book was to bring in a detailed discussion of Skill Challenges (4e style). This could be very useful, and probably worth the price of the book (discounted, with free shipping) alone.

I have to dig deeper to see what else of use is there.

I picked up my copy a while ago, but circumstances have simply prevented me from having the time to really sit down and read the entire thing.

As far as the Skill Challenges chapter goes, according to some of the folks on the WotC and d20 radio boards, it's actually much more in-depth in its discussion of skill challenges than the 4e books, including the extra stuff in DMG2.

Granted, I'm not a big fan of playing Noble-esque characters or playing/running extended intrigue campaigns (I'll freely admit, I'm an action junkie and much prefer to play those sorts of characters in RPGs), so I wasn't super-enthused for this book anyway. But from what I have gotten to read so far (races, talents, and feats), there's some neat stuff tucked away in there, but as Remus pointed out, given this is a later book in the line, it was probably a lot harder to come up with a lot of "Wow, that's cool!" type of stuff than it was in earlier books.

Treebore

First Post
Hmmm, well I was hoping you guys would give me a reason to get this now, but it sounds like I can be patient about it, especially since I am not running or playing in anything right now.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Hmmm, well I was hoping you guys would give me a reason to get this now, but it sounds like I can be patient about it, especially since I am not running or playing in anything right now.

Yeah, it's definitely not a must have, unless you are like me who just wants to get them all for collection's sake or really need the skill challenge rules. There are a lot of nice bits but all in all, it doesn't have much to offer anymore. I'm kinda glad that there will probably be only one more book.

delericho

Legend
I'm kinda glad that there will probably be only one more book.

Where did this come from? Is it confirmed anywhere?

Also, if this is the end of the line, what then? Are we about to be getting yet another new edition of a Star Wars RPG? Personally, after six previous editions, I'm inclined to say, "no more"!

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I'm increasingly of the "make enough books for me to use, then stop!" mentality with RPGs. I know that's not the kind of business plan a game company can lean on for the long term, but I'd rather that folks who did such a good job on Star Wars end the line while they're still producing good stuff, and move on to some other worthwhile project, which I will hopefully also buy.

Alternatively, start making more adventures (I know, I know).

Treebore

First Post
Where did this come from? Is it confirmed anywhere?

Also, if this is the end of the line, what then? Are we about to be getting yet another new edition of a Star Wars RPG? Personally, after six previous editions, I'm inclined to say, "no more"!

:lol:

I hear ya!

Fortunately for me I only started playing SW with SAGA, meaning where I bought the books and ran the games. So before this I only played, and only bought the core players book of only one of the editions.

Still I am pretty happy with SAGA and still have tons of exploring the system to do, so its unlikely I'll buy a new edition any time soon.

Much like with what I am experiencing with L5R going to a 4th edition. I bought all the 3E book and have barely scratched the surface of what is in the books, so I am not ready to go to a 4th edition yet.

Still, it depends, if I think the next edition is actually superior to the ones I have now, I'll change. If not, I'll stay where I am.

Remove ads