Game App Recommendations

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Going to be travelling in the not-too-distant future, to a place where wi-fi will be spotty or non-existent.

So... please give me your recommendations for game apps that'll run on an Android device that don't need a network connection to play!

(You can give similar recommendations for iPhone apps, too - someone might be able to use them, just mark what OS they're for, please.)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
For iOS devices I use:

I love the D&D Beyond app for access to all my 5e books and for looking up spells, etc. Doesn't support charactersheets yet, but it is a great tool for DMs who don't want to cart books around.

For character sheets, Hero Lab is nice on the iPad for the systems it supports. 5e with the community-created content will support most of my needs as a player.

d20 Calc
Not the best looking dice rolling app, but great tool for making a lot of dice rolls quickly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, I realize I wasn't clear - I don't mean for playing tabletop RPGs. I'm thinking more "games to play on the airplane" and such.

Antiyoy is a great simple and free strategy game. Lots of play time for free. Yiotro (the publisher) has a few other games that are of a similar simplistic style design, but IMNSHO Antiyoy is by far the best.

Bean's Quest/Bean Dreams is a good platformer for a phone. I normally hate trying to do d-pad work on a touch screen; the mechanics of this game handle movement much better than most.

Really Bad Chess is an interesting chess variant, if you're into that sort of thing.

Splendor and Carcassonne both have app versions that should work fine offline.

I really like tower defense games, but most of them won't be full featured without internet. I think Digfender and Metal Slug Defense might be okay offline.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My favorite game for long flights is Civilization on iOS. Not sure if its been released for Android.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
EDIT: saw this is limited to Android or iOS. Still, I’d recommend a Switch if you travel a lot.

Do you have a Switch? I’d recommend Darkest Dungeons with all the DLCs. DD is also on Steam but it really stood out when played on Switch.

Remove ads