• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game day adventure

Mirtek

Hero
pedr said:
The table I ran through triggered the final boss encounter before dealing with the statues so had to face both together.
We too.

We wanted to be cautious so we decided to check out the rest of the cave first before opening the door. Our plan was to make sure that nothing could come on us from behing when we we're facing whatever was behind the door.

Well, this was a major failures and what was behind the door come on us from behing while we were fighting what was in the rest of the cave :D

Add that to the worst dice rolls you can image (our wizards did basically nothing for 7 consecutive because seven times in a row he rolled well below 10 and missed with anything he attempted) and the rest of us had similar dice luck. I (playing the human fighter with his incredible +8 attack bonus) missed the two skeletons I was keeping back for 4 consecutive rounds while I took 1-2 hits per round. Our cleric had to pick me up from lying unconsciously on the ground twice before I could finish my two skeltons.

After we had killed the 4 skeletons we were all out of second wind, the cleric had depleted all of his healing and the elf mage opponent and one of the statues were still completly unhurt while the second statue was barely bloodied!

It was a slaughter, with our cursed dice rolls we never had a chance at all.

phil500

First Post
Old Gumphrey said:
. The encounter with the statues is VERY difficult

AH thats what went wrong. the DM told us too much- which statues would reanimate and one of the players tied them both up before we triggered it.

NaturalZero said:
Afterwards, we learned how utterly outmatched a party without a ranged striker is against a hovering deathmachine/dragon that can hit the whole party every other round with a breath weapon while flying above melee range.

was that supposed to be part of it or did the DM improv that? i think at our store he used the dragon encounter to teach combat before the adventure.

Last edited:

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
I ran two sessions and they both went pretty well, considering that none of us was terribly familiar with the rules.

I'll echo most of the comments here about the animated statues -- 86 hp each was a bit much. The second time I ran them I reduced them to 66 hp to get them over with a little quicker. There's only so many times you can knock a PC prone before it gets a little monotonous.

My first group was helpless against the obelisk/Pelor/Bahamut puzzle, but the second group, consisting mostly of newbs, solved it in no time. Go figure.

The Thievery DCs for disabling the magic circle traps required a little too much luck from the rogue. I wonder if anyone actually managed to disable them.

For those of us who didn't have the books yet, or hadn't read them, it would have been nice to have a few more of the game elements explained in the adventure, like what exactly a potion of healing does nowadays. I guessed "free healing surge."

Still, all in all, I had a very good time. This was my favorite Game Day adventure yet.

Aria Silverhands

First Post
Mr. Patient said:
My first group was helpless against the obelisk/Pelor/Bahamut puzzle, but the second group, consisting mostly of newbs, solved it in no time. Go figure.
This is why puzzles and riddles are a bad thing to use.

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
Aria Silverhands said:
This is why puzzles and riddles are a bad thing to use.

Normally, I'm with you, but this one wasn't too bad. If the PCs solve it, they get a nice bonus that really helps later on in the adventure. If they don't, it basically solves itself after five minutes. I think that's a pretty good way to use a puzzle.

Mr. Patient

Adventurer
questing gm said:
I'm curious to know to those who ran this adventure...
Do you get to keep them or has to be delivered back to WoTC at some point ? ;)

I don't think WotC really wants several thousand Dorito-stained dog-eared pamphlets ;-). We got to keep them, along with a dozen minis, albeit with no stat cards.

Festivus

First Post
GishBandit said:
I almost got killed when being knocked down and if it weren't for the player with the fighter saying, "you can't take an action point when you turn is done. The kick you when you are down part of the statues action was at the end of its turn. I don't know if that is true or not, but I lived.

Since the kick em while they're down trick basically triggers a standard attack there really wasn't any difference and it really should have been able to expend an action point to hit you again.

I burned both statues action points to re-try tripping the dwarf (who kept making the save to not be knocked prone.) After three attempts I finally knocked him over and was able to proceed normally. The player really didn't like that when she tried to stand up I got to interrupt that action and attack again... plus end the dwarf's turn right there. I also kept the statues next to one another so when they tripped someone the character was in real serious trouble.

Yes, the statues should have been VERY tough.

phil500

First Post
Mr. Patient said:
I don't think WotC really wants several thousand Dorito-stained dog-eared pamphlets ;-). We got to keep them, along with a dozen minis, albeit with no stat cards.

yeah it was nice to get a white dragon mini for my sessions. and a bunch of other cool ones (druid guy)

jinx crossbow

First Post
phil500 said:
Did anyone else think this adventure was too easy?
I did GM the adventure in our local FLGS. I had a group of 3 skilled players, on who plays the starwars mini game and one newbe.

With the hobgoblins I was not far away from a total party kill, but they manages to overcome the statues quite good, the dwarf blocked on of them and the others samshed the secound before helping the dwarf. Unfortunatly the shop closed before we could finish the adventure :-(

I don't think it was to easy for a group who doen't know the 4ed, but if you play this adventure with poepl who have 2 years of experience with 4th ed, it might be.

Jinx

Remove ads