Game design: Is there already a TTRPG system…

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
…that uses opposed pools of die rolls- high rolls wins, tie goes to the defense, 1s being a failure- to resolve skills, but using various die sizes?
Would you like there to be such a system?

I suspect it would have all the excitement of a Risk war, but it's hard to tell because it looks like the maths get much muddier than in Risk.

Thomas Shey

Legend

I suspect it would have all the excitement of a Risk war, but it's hard to tell because it looks like the maths get much muddier than in Risk.

Other than using polyhedra its not that different from a number of die-pool systems. The polyhedra do muddy that somewhat (one of the few basic design complaints I have about Cortex) but that sort of die pool system doesn't seem unpopular.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I would, actually. It kinda popped into my head while I was doing something.

I’ve played in something like 150 different RPG systems- including a couple mentioned here- and couldn’t recall any quite like it.

InchAndmile

Villager
I developed a system some time ago that does this.. I call it SATA for Skill, Attribute, Tool and Advantage.
The character has attributes 1-12 (usually 1-6, more with augments like magic or potions), skills 1-12.
Equipment usually provides a tool value such as a shovel, shield or sword for its designed usage. Combat tools can then have some other interaction like damage, defense or some narrative hook for your combat system. Advantage is generally by terrain such as high ground.

In every contest you get to roll a number of dice, one for each of the SATA elements if applicable (no T if no tools, no A if no advantage, etc.). To determine the size of each die you simply look at the number and "fit" the biggest dice you can in from d2/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12. So a 7 isn't much different from a 6, they both use a d6.
Everything is done by contest, attacker and defender (which is gm in a solo test) each roll their 1-4 dice and compare the top numbers. With a 4, 4, 8, 3 I win against a 5, 5, 6, 4 with 2 degrees of success as 8 beats 6. If the top numbers are a tie, 8 and 8 (instead of 6), go to the next highest pair. This time the defender wins with a 5 against a 4 and 1 DoS. Having all the elements makes your results more reliable but having better stuff makes you more able to win (1d8 is stronger than 3d4 as the former has half a chance to always win- but half a chance to very likely loose as 3d4 is much more reliable).

It simulates I think most aspects that a character will bring to a task while at the same time being fast as long as each person knows what they are supposed to roll, no need to fiddle around counting bonuses and penalties aside from Advantage to either of the two parties.
Curious what people think about this system, trying to maintain a balance between speed and simulation. Have not quite nailed down what I would like to do with damage and armor, something universal that works as well with firearms as it does swords and magic.
I had some ideas about nicking something from savage worlds about collecting injuries on your person as a listing (gunshot - 8 damage) and incapacitating the character if they take too many wounds or one very serious wound (compared to an attribute) but I am not particularly concrete on much with this.

babi_gog

Explorer
The only thing that comes to mind that I haven't seen mentioned is Dogs in the Vinyard, where you assemble pools of various-size dice and compare the rolls--and the sides have opportunities to add dice (at the cost of changing what kind of conflict is happening and perhaps risking nastier consequences). There is (or at least was) a genericized version of it available on DriveThru.

The generic version is DOGS.

Remove ads