• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

Bawylie

A very OK person
It's likely distilled from a number of things in the D&D 5e Basic Rules, but it's key to "descriptive roleplaying" on page 66. "Drawing on your mental image of your character, you tell everyone what your character does and how he or she does it." The "what" is the goal. The "how" is the approach. "Active roleplaying" gives the same information, but in a different way and what you can't act out you have to describe.

The specific terms "goal and approach" probably came about as a shorthand in Twitter discussions between myself, [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION], and [MENTION=6801813]Valmarius[/MENTION]. I know it wasn't something I came up with on my own. And others have probably arrived at the same terms from some other direction.

You’re DMing for a group and a player starts asking some questions that seem out of the blue and barely relevant to the matter at hand. “Is the stone rough hewn or worked? How high is the ceiling? What’s it made of? Can I see the enemies behind cover? Can I roll perception here?” And after like 10 minutes of this (while the other players yawn and wait for their combat turns) you finally lose it and shout, “Jaysus H Crepes, just what the **** do you want to do here?”

And that’s how you cut to the chase and realize the only relevant info you need is the player’s goal. So on each player’s turn you ask them to state a goal so you can cut 10 minutes of questions.

Then those goals start getting weirdly detailed. Multiple steps. And again the questions. Oftentimes trying to find out if the goal is at all possible or valid. Another 10 minutes pass and you know you’re about to invoke your pastry savior. You start to skip the player’s descriptions because now that you’ve got the goal, you can just say what they do, right? Player says they want to search for traps (nice goal!). So you start your narration “As you move your hands across the door and feel for...”

“I wouldn’t do that,” they interrupt. An argument starts. They don’t want to set off the trap they suspect is there by touching it. But they explicitly said they were searching. The argument takes 15 minutes until you throw up your hands and ask “Fine then, how do you search for hidden traps without touching the ******** door?” And that’s when you realize you’re gonna start asking for an approach - some brief description of how they plan to go about accomplishing their goal.

Then it dawns on you - you’ve been adjudicating backwards. You’ve been setting DCs for things and asking for rolls and the players have been rolling dice but they’re basically random number generators and not necessarily making decisions so much as going through a series of time consuming motions. So you decide you’re gonna wait and set DCs based on the goal and the approach and not on the obstacles themselves.

You get about half the questions you used to get. Then a tenth. You spend more time playing and way less time jibbering about random details. The players are making decisions. They talk at least half the time now. It’s not a one man show anymore. They’re terrified. They’re tense. They’re ecstatic when things go right.

It’s streamlined. It’s less frustrating and more fun. Your rules lawyer has a lot less to argue about. The players stop asking to make rolls and start thinking of ways to take actions that avoid the dice as much as possible. You don’t fudge rolls anymore because the players are making decisions with full awareness of the consequences of their actions. They get smarter. You add more monsters and more obstacles. Your totm phases are lightning quick and you have time for huge set piece encounters with elaborate maps and terrain. The time you spent arguing and answering questions can be used for anything. Mostly play. Often setting up a new map.

Goal and approach. I want to dm better games by enabling the players to make meaningful decisions with real consequences. I got a 17.

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] - I'm sorry, but, I'm not sure I get it. Although, props for entertainment value. How can the player state goals without asking the questions though? "I want to find out if there is a trap on the door" is a goal. So, stated, roll and narrate the result. That's pretty much standard method of play isn't it?

I'm not seeing your point, I'm sorry.

G

Guest 6801328

As usual, [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] dispense words of wisdom.

On a side note, I especially hate "you think he's lying". Humans are ok at assessing general trustworthiness in strangers but terrible at detecting specific lies, and untold damage has been wrought by people...especially police...who believe they are good at the latter and therefore have too much confidence in their guesses.

If you are really going to tell a player what his/her character thinks, then in this case you may as well flip a coin.

Hussar

Legend
It's his answer to Tony's question as to where, in part, the "player states a goal and approach" thing comes from.

No, I get where it came from, I just don't really understand the answer. How is this different from pretty bog standard play? Player says, "I want to do X", DM assesses difficulty and player rolls success or failure and the DM narrates. What am I missing?

Hussar

Legend
As usual, [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] dispense words of wisdom.

On a side note, I especially hate "you think he's lying". Humans are ok at assessing general trustworthiness in strangers but terrible at detecting specific lies, and untold damage has been wrought by people...especially police...who believe they are good at the latter and therefore have too much confidence in their guesses.

If you are really going to tell a player what his/her character thinks, then in this case you may as well flip a coin.

But, you're also kinda shooting your own point in the foot. People think they can detect specific lies all the time. And are often confident in their guesses. So, saying, "You think he's lying" is perfectly in keeping with normal behavior. What's the issue here? It's quite believable, it's within the bounds of the rules, and it avoids needless verbiage that pretty much amounts to the same thing.

G

Guest 6801328

But, you're also kinda shooting your own point in the foot. People think they can detect specific lies all the time. And are often confident in their guesses. So, saying, "You think he's lying" is perfectly in keeping with normal behavior. What's the issue here? It's quite believable, it's within the bounds of the rules, and it avoids needless verbiage that pretty much amounts to the same thing.

I suppose it might seem that way if you don't understand the arguments. Or consciously misconstrue them.

Note the "if you are really going to tell the player what his/her character thinks" part. I'm still not condoning it.

In the case of lying, a character with high Insight is no more likely to guess correctly than a character with low Insight. (That is, apart from the game defining it that way. Which I think is dumb.) By saying "you may as well flip a coin" I'm disparaging the whole enterprise of lie-detection-as-skill.

I'm also not saying I have a good replacement system. Relatively effective "lie detection" requires things like catching a liar in a contradiction (which even then isn't proof) or correctly evaluating motives/incentives to lie.

But, regardless of how you do it, whether you want to end up with a binary "believes/does not believe" or whether you think it should be a more nuanced spectrum of certainty, ultimately what the player thinks should be what the character thinks.

EDIT: I'll mitigate the above slightly: if Insight is supposed to represent or abstract the kinds of questioning that leads to contradictions, or unearths motives, then I could see it being useful. (Although it should be called Interrogation not Insight in that case. "Insight" suggests to me just passive observation, not active sleuthing.) But it...and all "detection" skills...should still result in non-binary confidence.

Ideally players should be thinking things like, "Ok, I rolled really well, and the DM said I wasn't able to catch him in a contradiction, so he's probably telling the truth...but he still might not be." It's even ok if the player can put a probability on that. "...there's still a 7% chance he's lying."

Because when people IRL say "I think he's lying" they know there's a chance they might be wrong.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No, I get where it came from, I just don't really understand the answer. How is this different from pretty bog standard play? Player says, "I want to do X", DM assesses difficulty and player rolls success or failure and the DM narrates. What am I missing?

"I want to do X..." or "I want to find out if there is a trap on the door..." are both statements of goals. Bawylie and I would find them to be incomplete action declarations because they lack an approach and can lead to the DM to assuming or establishing what the character does, thinks, or says - all infringement of agency - which may result in the sorts of problems he mentions. By requiring goal and approach, the player has full control over what his or her character is actually doing while pursuing the goal and those potential problems are neatly sidestepped, plus there can be other benefits as he mentions.

G

Guest 6801328

"I want to do X..." or "I want to find out if there is a trap on the door..." are both statements of goals. Bawylie and I would find them to be incomplete action declarations because they lack an approach and can lead to the DM to assuming or establishing what the character does, thinks, or says - all infringement of agency - which may result in the sorts of problems he mentions. By requiring goal and approach, the player has full control over what his or her character is actually doing while pursuing the goal and those potential problems are neatly sidestepped, plus there can be other benefits as he mentions.

I suspect some, out of an unwillingness to admit that somebody else could say something intelligent...or possibly because doing so might lend credibility to something else that other person once said...will either:
a) Say this is obvious and is the way the game has been played forever
b) Will contrive some edge-case scenario to try to illustrate why this won't work.

Or both.

My reaction to "goal and approach" is that, yes, I do try to play that way. And yet I still find it useful to formalize it (sort of like "describe, then say 'what do you do?'") as a way of reinforcing the behavior.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads