Game Mechanics And Player Agency

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

From the very first iteration of Dungeons & Dragons in 1974, there have been mechanics in place in RPGs to force certain decisions upon players. A classic D&D example is the charm person spell, which allows the spell caster to bring someone under their control and command. (The 1983 D&D Basic Set even includes such a possible outcome in its very first tutorial adventure, in which your hapless Fighter may fall under the sway of Bargle and "decide" to let the outlaw magic-user go free even after murdering your friend Aleena!)

It didn't take long for other RPGs to start experimenting with even greater mechanical methods of limiting player agency. Call of Cthulhu (1981) introduced the Sanity mechanic as a way of tracking the player-characters' mental stress and degeneration in the face of mind-blasting horrors. But the Temporary Insanity rules also dictated that PCs exposed to particularly nasty shocks were no longer necessarily in control of their own actions. The current edition of the game even gives the Call of Cthulhu GM carte blanche to dictate the hapless investigator's fate, having the PC come to their senses hours later having been robbed, beaten, or even institutionalized!

King Arthur Pendragon debuted in 1985 featuring even more radical behavioral mechanics. The game's system of Traits and Passions perfectly mirrors the Arthurian tales, in which normally sensible and virtuous knights and ladies with everything to lose risk it all in the name of love, hatred, vengeance, or petty jealousy. So too are the player-knights of the game driven to foolhardy heroism or destructive madness, quite often against the players' wishes. Indeed, suffering a bout of madness in Pendragon is enough to put a player-knight out of the game sometimes for (quite literally) many game-years on end…and if the player-knight does return, they are apt to have undergone significant trauma reflected in altered statistics.

The legacies of Call of Cthulhu and King Arthur Pendragon have influenced numerous other game designs down to this day, and although the charm person spell is not nearly as all-powerful as it was when first introduced in 1974 ("If the spell is successful it will cause the charmed entity to come completely under the influence of the Magic-User until such time as the 'charm' is dispelled[.]"), it and many other mind-affecting spells and items continue to bedevil D&D adventurers of all types.

Infringing on player agency calls for great care in any circumstance. As alluded to at the top of this article, GMs already have so much power in the game, that to appear to take any away from the players is bound to rankle. This is likely why games developed mechanical means to allow GMs to do so in order to make for a more interesting story without appearing biased or arbitrary. Most players, after all, would refuse to voluntarily submit to the will of an evil wizard, to faint or flee screaming in the presence of cosmic horror, or to attack an ally or lover in a blind rage. Yet these moments are often the most memorable of a campaign, and they are facilitated by behavioral mechanics.

What do you think? What's your personal "red line" for behavioral mechanics? Do behavioral mechanics have any place in RPGs, and if so, to what extent? Most crucially: do they enhance narrative or detract from it?

contributed by David Larkins

Bawylie

A very OK person
I'd require an attack roll on the held target... hefty bonuses, but still, a roll needed. In 5E, Advantage, and the AC takes disadvantage (which, for a fixed score, like Passive Perception or AC, is a -5).
There's still a chance of failure; a momentary distraction is all some need to do the disarm.

IMO, the player that successfully maneuvered their enemy into such a position has eliminated the chance for failure.

If some intervening action provided a distraction or otherwise inhibited the player’s action, that’s another consideration. But in the example I gave, there wasn’t one. So no chance of failure.

aramis erak

Legend
IMO, the player that successfully maneuvered their enemy into such a position has eliminated the chance for failure.

If some intervening action provided a distraction or otherwise inhibited the player’s action, that’s another consideration. But in the example I gave, there wasn’t one. So no chance of failure.

One of the hidden core concepts of D&D from 3.0 on: if it does damage or status effects, there's ALWAYS a chance of failure. Disad, that's 39/400 (9.75%), normal 1/20 (5%), advantage, 1/400 (0.25%). Same odds, but reversed, for save based ones.

Only a very few spells in 5e have guaranteed damage, and it's low. 5E's coup d'grace isn't an autohit nor autokill, either - it's advantage to hit and auto-crit on hit.

No active target should be better odds than a coup d'grace.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
One of the hidden core concepts of D&D from 3.0 on: if it does damage or status effects, there's ALWAYS a chance of failure. Disad, that's 39/400 (9.75%), normal 1/20 (5%), advantage, 1/400 (0.25%). Same odds, but reversed, for save based ones.

Only a very few spells in 5e have guaranteed damage, and it's low. 5E's coup d'grace isn't an autohit nor autokill, either - it's advantage to hit and auto-crit on hit.

No active target should be better odds than a coup d'grace.

"Hidden" core concepts aren't. You're free to play that way, but it's not actually a core concept. See Magic Missile.

aramis erak

Legend
"Hidden" core concepts aren't. You're free to play that way, but it's not actually a core concept. See Magic Missile.

Its obliquely referenced in the DMG section on spell creation, and it's explicit that all attacks fail on a natural 1.
You're welcome to ignore that in a home game, but since I mostly play/run AL, I'm NOT allowed to.

Further, the rules are explicit that a helpless target is only advantage to hit and auto crit, not insta-kill.

RTFM.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Its obliquely referenced in the DMG section on spell creation, and it's explicit that all attacks fail on a natural 1.
You're welcome to ignore that in a home game, but since I mostly play/run AL, I'm NOT allowed to.

Further, the rules are explicit that a helpless target is only advantage to hit and auto crit, not insta-kill.

RTFM.

The rules work for me. If I don’t ask for an attack roll, then what that rule says about a natural 1 is irrelevant. I’m welcome to ignore any rule at any time right? Rule zero.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Are you able to give an example of an approach to killing an orc via swordplay that wouldn't require an attack roll?
IIRC, the 5e line on uncertainty applies to declared actions that don't already have a defined procedure, which is still almost everything, but not attacks or saving throws.
That said, if the orc is profoundly overmatched it wouldn't be odd not to bother rolling.

Who the heck are you responding to? Did somebody say that Charm spells used against PCs are badwrongfun? (If so I missed it.)
Yeah.
The OP suggests that certain rpgs infringe on the player's ability to control their character. .

I think Geas has also come up in this thread.

Bawylie

A very OK person
IIRC, the 5e line on uncertainty applies to declared actions that don't already have a defined procedure, which is still almost everything, but not attacks or saving throws.
That said, if the orc is profoundly overmatched it wouldn't be odd not to bother rolling.

I think Geas has also come up in this thread.

From the DMG Page 236:
THE ROLE OF DICE
Dice are neutral arbiters. They can determine the
outcome of an action without assigning any motivation to the DM and without playing favorites. The extent to which you use them is entirely up to you.

That’s the lead graph. Subsequent paragraphs talk about different approaches to the dice. Nothing mandates dice for actions that already have a defined procedure. The definitive rule is “it’s up to you” and everything else is a guideline or best practice on how to use dice but not necessarily when to.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

RTFM.

Yes, I'm well aware of the rules and I made my statement with the full knowledge of both things you've just pointed out. Attacking a helpless foe is not the same thing as already having a blade to a helpless foe's throat. If I, as DM, decide there's no uncertainty, the auto-fail on a one doesn't matter - no dice are rolled. Further, for spells, since you mentioned them, a target with a save modifier of -3 cannot make a DC 18 save no matter what -- it's automatically successful.

RTFM, indeed.

Tony Vargas

Legend
From the DMG Page 236:
THE ROLE OF DICE
Dice are neutral arbiters. They can determine the
outcome of an action without assigning any motivation to the DM and without playing favorites. The extent to which you use them is entirely up to you.

That’s the lead graph. Subsequent paragraphs talk about different approaches to the dice. Nothing mandates dice for actions that already have a defined procedure. The definitive rule is “it’s up to you” and everything else is a guideline or best practice on how to use dice but not necessarily when to.

Hey, it's DM Empowerment, all the way, but that's not what I was trying to recall, rather it was a specific guideline & it's context I wasn't 100% certain of, not whether it was a guideline.

It's really a given in any RPG, whether they spell out a Rule 0 or Golden Rule or not, or even go out of their way to claim the opposite, that the GM can change the rules of the game as much as he wants.

Where 5e and many other games lean toward further empowering the GM isn't in granting that unnecessary permission explicitly, but in leaving places where GM judgement must be exercised to keep the game flowing.

I had the impression saves, attack rolls and maybe a few other things didn't quite go there...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Hey, it's DM Empowerment, all the way, but that's not what I was trying to recall, rather it was a specific guideline & it's context I wasn't 100% certain of, not whether it was a guideline.

It's really a given in any RPG, whether they spell out a Rule 0 or Golden Rule or not, or even go out of their way to claim the opposite, that the GM can change the rules of the game as much as he wants.

Where 5e and many other games lean toward further empowering the GM isn't in granting that unnecessary permission explicitly, but in leaving places where GM judgement must be exercised to keep the game flowing.

I had the impression saves, attack rolls and maybe a few other things didn't quite go there...

And, clearly, others read the same stuff and got a different impression. :D

And we're not talking people that haven't done their homework on the rules.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads