Game Mechanics Which Encourage Character Arc Progression

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think I'm getting closer. I'd really like to know your thoughts, @Gradine if this is in alignment with what you were thinking. I want to keep player agency, and I didn't want setbacks to be overly punitive (set backs are still progressing through an arc, right?). Also, I wanted to give an extra reward for someone who does have a setback but is able to get back on track. I think that fits thematically with a lot of tropes around Character Arcs

1683913196060.png

1683913351768.png

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
@Sacrosanct

This is very much in line with the kind of mechanic I was talking about. The Arc Choices in particular is a mechanic that is very much in line with what I've been working on. My project is based in PbtA, so the "Arc Choice" is tied to the player's choice of Playbook.

I like that the list you have is both active and positive. My draft is a bit of a mixed bag in that regards, but I'm trying to make the mechanic more unified. I'm still in the early stages but it's always really awesome to see what kind of design is happening around similar ideas across different systems.

pemerton

Legend
@Kannik mentioned Mouse Guard. I would add Burning Wheel, from the same family of games.

PCs have Beliefs, Instincts, Traits and Relationships as elements of their build.

The GM's main job is to frame scenes that put those elements of the PC under pressure or at least bring them into play.

The player earns various sorts of "fate points" for the choices they make in the play of their PC that express those build elements ("express" is deliberately broad - you can express a Belief by playing out the struggle of acting against it, as much as by acting in accordance with it).

Remove ads