Game Stores, d20, and stupidity...

TalonComics

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:

Buy $250 of product from TalonComics, and shipping is free. I always stretch a little bit to get that _last_ few bucks, but I'd rather spend money on product than on shipping. (Sorry, Derek....)

Funny you should mention that!
Currently, as a part of my "7th Year Anniversary" sale (which I haven't posted yet so consider this a scoop on myself;) ) I am including free shipping for orders of 100 dollars or more. Of course that's 1 free shipping just in case something hasn't been released yet and you want to ship it in two shipments.
Also, consider this another scoop, I am lowering my "free shipping" break to 175.00 US after the sale is over. :)

I'll have to explore the idea of free shipping for outside of the US. I think it would be a possible idea though. I have been known to pay for part of international shipping if it's a big order though. :) It's just really expensive to ship internationally as Horacio (my best customer in Brest!) can attest.

I'd also like to point out I carry all of the D20 products that have been mentioned so far. I'm doing the best to keep up with all the product that is released and if you don't see something on my site please email me and I'll give a quote no problem. Needless to say I'll never tell a customer I'm not going to carry something.

~Derek
www.taloncomics.com
Your local store online!

Tetsubo

First Post
Once a release date for the Dragonstar Starfarer's Handbook was announced I asked my local shop if the could get a copy. The counter person tells me, "I don't know, stuff just shows up."

"Stuff" doesn't just show up. It gets ordered by someone at the store. So I drove 35 miles to a store near my girlfriend's college and asked them if they would order it. No problem I was told. Two weeks later I got a call it was in. No hassles, no attitude. Just got what I wanted.

I still shop at my local store. They have a gaming club. For every $100 you spend you get $10 free. So for more common things I shop there.

For the more obscure books I go to the other store even if it is 35 miles away. Additionally they have a used gaming box. I've found some great deals in this thing. Out of print and older stuff $2.50 - $10.00 in mostly good condition. As a bonus they sell literature, comics and poetry which gives my girlfriend something to do while I shop for games. :)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
TalonComics said:
I'll have to explore the idea of free shipping for outside of the US. I think it would be a possible idea though. I have been known to pay for part of international shipping if it's a big order though. :) It's just really expensive to ship internationally as Horacio (my best customer in Brest!) can attest.

So I assume it means the offer isn't valid for me :(

Well, you could, at least, reduce the shipping cost by the amount you would spend in local post. It looks like a great idea to me... ;) ;)

And, if you don't do it already, if your Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS) isn't just perfect, buy from Derek, but from TalonComics, the BEST ONLINE SHOP EVER.

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
Hey Jim,

That was a great idea offering free postage, I didn't have any particular plans to buy "Arms & Armor" but when I saw your news release about free shipping I thought what the hell. You can never have too many weapons and armour ideas, so I bought it last week. :)

It just arrived on my desk about an hour ago. I haven't had a good read through it yet but it looks to have some interesting ideas in it.

I work for Auran (http://www.auran.com/d20/) and I believe that we are experiencing the same problem trying to break into the d20 market. Our distributor Osseum is going to be trying to get our products into stores in North America but I'm not sure on when or what kind of results they will they will see. To combat this problem Auran is selling online through our website and have tried to keep postage costs as low as possible (approximately $2-$5 dollars US).

Ashy

First Post
Derek - here's an idea...

Here's an idea, Derek. Why not institute a sliding scale on shipping payments based on return business? For example - say you have an excellent customer like Horacio, who you know buys stuff every month. Obviously, you want his return business, so you cut him a deal based on that return business. For every consecutive month that he buys stuff from your store, you lower the shipping price by 5% or something. So for instance:

January - Horacio pays full shipping = $20.00
February - Horacio gets 5% off full shipping = $19.00
March - Horacio gets another 5% off full shipping = $18.00

And so on and so forth. You might have to require a minimum purchase amount (depending on your profit margins), but in the long run you will benefit because you are making money evey month, your customer is happy because his shipping costs go down, and D20 thrives and continues to grow... :)

Bear in mind, of course, that these numbers may be WAY OFF depending on original shipping costs, etc, it is merely the CONCEPT that I am illustrating here. :)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wow, ol' Ashy, that is a cool idea, you're a great f(r)iend!
Derek, I don't know if you like it, but if you do you'd make me happy! :)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
PrivateerMatt said:
Now THAT sounds like a challenge! Chris, can you let me know the store's name and number? Or the name and city if you don't have any other contact info... When I hear about a store like that, I like to get in touch and send them a couple of samples.

I can't talk to every store owner, but I do what I can.

Way to go, Matt! Good luck - I'd love to see a store brought back to selling d20 stuff...

Remove ads