• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game stores in Kansas City?

StevetheNPC

Explorer
I'll be traveling to Kansas City in about a week and a half (7/25-7/26) and would love to visit any good game shops in the area. I prefer stores that have lots of old and out of print stuff, but I'm not too picky. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Steven

der_kluge

Adventurer
There are several, but the two I'm most familiar with are 31st Century Games, and TableTop.

31st Century games is in Olathe, at 151st St. and Murlen. It's a big place, with a lot of Warhammer, d20 stuff, and they also sell WoTC figs out of the box at a reasonable price. He also has lots of Gundam models, and other kinds of models, hobby stuff, a huge play area, comics, lots of stuff. You name it.

TableTop is in Lenexa on Quivira. I think 79th and Quivira. It's also a really good store with a great staff. They have a ton of boardgames, a big d20 section, miniatures, and all the usual stuff.

Hope that helps.

der_kluge

Adventurer
My god that's weird.

I just realized you're from Richmond.

Here I am living in Richmond telling someone else from Richmond about game stores in Kansas City, where I used to live.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
There's A to Z Comics on 40 highway in Blue Springs(had south on highway 7 and then right at 40 then it's on the left about 3 block down), Pulp Fiction is down 291 in Lee's Summit near the Price Chopper (I believe, haven't been there in a while), then there's The Battlezone on Blue Ridge Blvd in Raytown just a couple blocks north of the Wal-Mart. Out of the three, I like The Battlezone the best. They have some older D20 products (but they have all the newest releases from the big publishers), but all the minis (no D&D or SW singles :( ), boardgames, and CCG's you could want though.

Kane

StevetheNPC

Explorer
...and what's even weirder is that we've chatted before being that we both live in Richmond. I am the ENWorld user formerly known as "ColonelThread". ;)

Thanks for the info, those sound like two good destinations. I can certainly use a lot more D&D minis, they are coming in very handy in my regular campaign.

Cheers,
Steven

der_kluge

Adventurer
sspiroff said:
...and what's even weirder is that we've chatted before being that we both live in Richmond. I am the ENWorld user formerly known as "ColonelThread". ;)

Thanks for the info, those sound like two good destinations. I can certainly use a lot more D&D minis, they are coming in very handy in my regular campaign.

Cheers,
Steven

Oh, I see you. You're just trying to keep me on my toes, I see. :)

You don't happen to work for CarMax do you? One of my wife's friend's husband was going (just went?) to KC for a work related visit.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Kanegrundar said:
There's A to Z Comics on 40 highway in Blue Springs(had south on highway 7 and then right at 40 then it's on the left about 3 block down),

I've been going to this store since I was about 15 (so 18 years now). Great selection and the owner is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Pulp Fiction is down 291 in Lee's Summit near the Price Chopper (I believe, haven't been there in a while),

Yup, just a couple doors down from the Price Chopper, just off of 291 South and 50 HWY. Another excellent store with a fantastic game room and lots of good products. A friend of mine runs the place.

Pulp Fiction doesn't have much in the way of older game material, though I got real lucky today and found FR4 The Magister there today. :)

Never been to the Battlezone in Raytown so I can't comment.

Another store that has a lot of older stuff is Monty's, which is off of I-70 and 40 HWY. Take the Blue Ridge exit, and take a right. It's a hole in the wall, so it's really hard to spot. Go past Gates (on the right) and continue up the hill, and it's in an alley to the right. Lots of older stuff, but the thing I don't like is that stuff is just sorta piled up and not always the best organized. I've found a number of gems there in various degrees of quality.

And if you do go by there, stop in at Gates and get some good BBQ. Mmmm...Gates.... ;)

Zulithe

Explorer
Of all mentioned, I've only been to 31st Century. But despite the handful of visits I've made, I never noticed the comics section. Damn! I'll have to look around for that...

I can say that 31st Century gives 10% off on on bigger purchases, but I'm not sure exactly how much you need to spend to get it. I mention this because several gameing stores I've shopped at did not do this, and I thought it was nice.

That place near Gates sounds tempting. I do love their BBQ!

Kanegrundar

Explorer
The Battlezone gives a 10% discount on all new material, and you can get an additional 5% discount by becoming a member of the store (which is quite cheap actually). That's one of the little touches that keeps me coming back.

Kane

Dragonhelm said:
Another store that has a lot of older stuff is Monty's, which is off of I-70 and 40 HWY. Take the Blue Ridge exit, and take a right. It's a hole in the wall, so it's really hard to spot. Go past Gates (on the right) and continue up the hill, and it's in an alley to the right. Lots of older stuff, but the thing I don't like is that stuff is just sorta piled up and not always the best organized. I've found a number of gems there in various degrees of quality.

For older stuff, Monte's is pretty hard to beat (both in selection & price). Most of my old 1st ed stuff came from there over the course of several years.

But, there is no real organization. What little organization there may be from time to time is quickly destroyed by gamers going through and putting stuff all over everywhere.

Plus its cramped & dirty.

But, he's got the largest selection of out-of-print stuff I've seen.

If you go, plan on spending at least an hour sorting through all the detrius. I often spent 2 hours there combing through stack after stack & suddenly finding a Mint Piece of Gold Beneath a heap of old stuff.

If you're pressed for time, avoid Monte's.

Remove ads