Gamemaster help needed for plot

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Being hunted by assassins from the other kingdom is going to 'spoil the surprise' in-game. "Why always US being shot at, Uncle Longbottom, never any of the other knights-errant?"

Is there something like The Sword In The Stone which can establish the PCs royal claim to be authentic? (Watch the movie Excalibur for a gritty take on that scene.) If not, why would anybody in the land support them against Le Dictator Terrible, and draw his wrath?

It's a neat concept and I want it to work, but I do not see how they kick-start the process of raising the forces that can successfully replace the Usurper on the throne with themselves.

aco175

Legend
I would tell the players at the start of the campaign. I would think this is something you should get their buy in on since it is their PCs. There could something where they were all exiled 20 years ago and grew up in secret, unaware of their heritage, but this may only work if the players know or if they all take short-lived races like humans. An elf exiled 20 years ago with some human babies would have to know something.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Being hunted by assassins from the other kingdom is going to 'spoil the surprise' in-game. "Why always US being shot at, Uncle Longbottom, never any of the other knights-errant?"

Is there something like The Sword In The Stone which can establish the PCs royal claim to be authentic? (Watch the movie Excalibur for a gritty take on that scene.) If not, why would anybody in the land support them against Le Dictator Terrible, and draw his wrath?

It's a neat concept and I want it to work, but I do not see how they kick-start the process of raising the forces that can successfully replace the Usurper on the throne with themselves.
They are not hunted actively nowhere else besides the land they are from. They will have adventures outside at first.
Yes, their mother is alive. I have an idea for an adventure related to that. There are other familiar people living in there as well.

Thanks for your feedback :)

PnPgamer

Explorer
I would tell the players at the start of the campaign. I would think this is something you should get their buy in on since it is their PCs. There could something where they were all exiled 20 years ago and grew up in secret, unaware of their heritage, but this may only work if the players know or if they all take short-lived races like humans. An elf exiled 20 years ago with some human babies would have to know something.
My intent was actually so that the mentors would be more long-lived races, and the heritors would be humans. I have said that race choices may come into question during session zero.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases