Gamers, I need input!

Kodiak3D

Explorer
Calling all gamers...

A friend and I are exploring the possibility of opening a "gamer's cafe" in our area. Essentially, it would have a small storefront carrying a few common items (D&D, Pathfinder, Warhammer, Reaper minis, etc), a gaming area with sufficient space for 4 or so tabletop games, another 2 or 3 miniature wargaming tables, and a cafe/hangout area with a TV/DVD and a small concession bar for burgers, hot dogs, popcorn, coffee, sodas, etc.

As gamers, I wanted to see what YOU would want out of a business like this. If there were a place like this in your area, would you visit it? Which should be bigger? THe gaming area or the hangout area? What other things would you like to see in a place like this?

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Clean, well lit, with clean bathrooms and a genuinely friendly staff that doesn't come off creepy, elitist or cliquey. To survive, I think it really needs to feel safe and welcoming. Just my two cents.

I'd like more than a few items from each system you support. Be pretty much a completist on current and last year or so from each system you support, and there's more reason for me to come in and check things out -- I'm looking to browse and buy, not playing, in a store.

Also, it's good to have magazines on hand. If I'm browsing and can't find a book I like, I'd usually be happy to pick up a copy of Kobold Quarterly, if there's one available (almost always not in the FLGSes near where I live). I like to buy something when I come in, to keep the place in business.

Also, make sure someone is always attending the food area/cash register, instead of wandering around gaming. It's always a little annoying when you have to hang around the cash register until the store employee finally looks up from his game and comes over to sell you stuff. On the other hand, I've never actually just put my stuff back and left, so eventually, it does get sold. It's just that I'd rather get the selling over with -- usually with some discussion of what I'm buying and comment on related products, if possible -- rather than feeling like I'm a jerk for "interrupting the game".

Finally, weird experience today in a very crowded (with people playing, not buying) game store. When I went to buy my item (and the employee came over quickly, only like 1 minute of waiting), he was seemingly very suspicious of my signature on the credit card receipt, holding onto the credit card instead of giving it back once he ran it, and actually checking the signature, then looking at me (there's no photo on it) and finally giving it back. I don't mind if a store asks for photo ID when you purchase with a credit card (as long as they do it to everyone), but this was odd behavior, and I think I'll avoid this store (two surviving FLGS in my area) for a while because, while it does have a broad selection, it's further away from my house and the employees usually give me a weird "we don't like your kind around here" vibe.

Bottom line there: Treat people who come into your story as valued customers and fellow hobbyists, rather than intruders who are bothering you and interrupting your game.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Clean, well lit, with clean bathrooms and a genuinely friendly staff that doesn't come off creepy, elitist or cliquey. To survive, I think it really needs to feel safe and welcoming. Just my two cents.

Plus the place would probably do well if whatever fare you were selling to the gamers was mainstream enough to draw in the mundanes as well. I mean, you might have a vending machine or 2 for the exotic snacks, but the visible stuff should be easily identifiable to non-gamers.

After all, their money is green too, and a steady stream of customers buying snacks may pay as many if not more bills than your gaming regulars.

You might even do a store layout with the snack bar on one side with a passthrough to the gaming store. Its a floorplan I've seen be very effective for a lot of small bakeries that also serve lunch & dinner.
I'd like more than a few items from each system you support. Be pretty much a completist on current and last year or so from each system you support, and there's more reason for me to come in and check things out -- I'm looking to browse and buy, not playing, in a store.

Even if you're not completist, make sure you have a good relationship with your distributors and keep company catalogs on hand- I mean readily available at the register! Nothing says customer service like telling someone you can special order something for someone, "Pick it out of the catalog, and I'll get it for you, sir!"

Also, make sure someone is always attending the food area/cash register, instead of wandering around gaming.

Good point! Its all well and good to have employees gaming in a gaming store- it can definitely help sales for a variety of reasons- but there should ALWAYS be someone working the counter and not involved in a demo or game: if your employees are distracted by gaming, you can actually lose sales or miss shoplifters that way.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
  1. Decide if you're a Gaming Store with a Cafe, or a Cafe with a Gaming Store. You can find the right balance over time, but sooner or later they will conflict, and you will need to have a primary. Are you like a Starbucks with a better bookshelf and some game space, or are you like a FLGS who happens to sell coffee and snacks? That'll tell you if you need to have a better selection of books, or a better selection of brews.
  2. Free WiFi. Oh sweet Jeebus, if you expect people to hang out there, let their laptops get online.
  3. Keep the Zones Distinct. The last thing you want is some sticky-fingered man getting hot dog ketchup all over your shiny new WotC hardbacks. Let there be some crossover (let people take what they want wherever they want) but have clear "cafe seating" where the chow is, and have clear "game tables" where the books are.
  4. Make it Somewhere To Hang Out. The longer people are chillaxing at your place, the more likely they are to buy an overpriced latte or game book. ;) Keep people in your store. Be like the B&N cafe where everyone has their macbooks out. Good layout, comfy seating, attentive cleaners, chill tunes, whatev. Keep gaming books, but also keep board games, card games, whatever. Videogames? Hell, why not.
  5. Make it Community Based. Have a corkboard for posting your game meetups, keep even non-gaming stuff in some circulation (free newspapers -- does the Onion deliver there?; CDs and music, too!; art on the walls!). Keep it friendly and casual.

I would absolutely go game in someone's living room esque cafe where there's a bench set up and dice available for purchase with my tea. I would even do a "room subscription" or something to cycle in a regular game.

That's my own pipe dream, though. Good luck! It sounds like a cool concept, and I hope you do well!

SethDrebitko

First Post
I plan to do a gaming pub/cafe environment including the following ideas which might help you:
  • Just beer/wine (probably would not apply)
  • flat grill/fried foods
  • fresh doughnuts
  • Collectible card/mini games
  • Decided upon core game lines to support
  • Impulse buy indie games
  • Discounts on special orders to the store (gets them to come back and hopefully spend more on food)
  • An unsecure wireless network or an optional secured network for people who have spent money at the store
  • Bunches of events
  • possible mini cons for events that could be large enough to be to be to large for the space.
  • Apply bacon as needed.

Kodiak3D

Explorer
Some great input so far. The free Wi-Fi was something we had already planned on. Keeping the catalogs right at the checkout is a great idea.

Keep the thoughts coming! This is great information for us.

What games do you think are the most important to carry right now?

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Just my two cents...

• Please, please, PLEASE sell alcohol in one form or another. I can understand if you don't want to make me a classic martini, but even a decent beer or two would go a long way to keeping me at the store all day and for a good portion of the evening. If you can sell me liquor (even if it's just classic martinis, a gin and tonic, or a Manhattan every once in a while), I'd practically move in on the weekends.

• Whatever fare you end up serving, please have a few reasonably healthy dishes to offer. At least one or two dishes that aren't fried, even if it's a simple baked chicken breast and white rice.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
• Please, please, PLEASE sell alcohol in one form or another. I can understand if you don't want to make me a classic martini, but even a decent beer or two would go a long way to keeping me at the store all day and for a good portion of the evening. If you can sell me liquor (even if it's just classic martinis, a gin and tonic, or a Manhattan every once in a while), I'd practically move in on the weekends.

I like a good beer as much as the next guy (I drink Guinness all the time), my wife drinks a couple glasses of wine a day, and we probably have 30 bottles of liquor in the cabinet right now, so I'm no prude, but, I have to say, serving alcohol at your game store could make things complicated..

a. parents might not feel comfy leaving their kids there
b. you never know how some strangers might act when accidentally drinking too much
c. you'd probably have to get a license of some sort ($$$)

I'm with you in spirit though, Dykstrav.. I've had a more than a few home games with a beer in hand. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads