• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gamestopper, are any of these correct?

Xarlen

First Post
To quote Grom:

Haste doesn't allow an extra step because you only get a single 5' step per round, and then only if you don't move at all otherwise. Once you took the 2nd 5' step, you've moved 10'. Its not a step anymore if you will.

The sage also ruled no extra 5' step from a Haste.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Xarlen said:
The sage also ruled no extra 5' step from a Haste.

And? A 5' step isnt' a move action. You can choose to use your Partial Action to move any distance up to your speed. Nothing the Sage said changes that.

JLXC

First Post
I don't know how much the Sage is listened to anymore? I mean really... all the "Rules" people for WOTC seem to flip a coin for right wrong. Look at the Gamestoppers and look at the Sage. There are constant mistakes, misrepresentations, outright blatant "I'm right even when I'm wrong" material and other minor and major problems.

There needs to be some SERIOUS revision before most of US will take either seriously anymore. YMMV

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
You know, I couldn't agree more. We've got a list of problems/odd things with the current rule set that could/should be set right rather but I seriously doubt they will be. I mean come on, the last two dragons have made rules errors. I don't seriously mind the free stuff they put on the web being of less than perfect accuracy but really, you need to get the published material right.

However can you imagine the outcry if they made version 3.1? Gamers would whine, whine, whine. They'd have a riot. I think unfortunately this is where the OGL analogy breaks down. In computer software new versions/updates are great, people don't whine about them but rather compulsively look forward to grabbing them up. RPers just have a different mental attitude.

Bonedagger

First Post
DevoutlyApathetic said:
However can you imagine the outcry if they made version 3.1? Gamers would whine, whine, whine. They'd have a riot. I think unfortunately this is where the OGL analogy breaks down. In computer software new versions/updates are great, people don't whine about them but rather compulsively look forward to grabbing them up. RPers just have a different mental attitude.

:D

I guess you could say that when it comes to RPGames the campaigne/gameworld is the software and the rules are the hardware. Every group of gamers (DM) are trying to make the illusion that their world is real. A program. To alter the hardware often means changing the software. (The CGamers usually just given an optional program. And unlike RPGamers they are not told that their old version isn't good enough)

I didn't really have a point.

Ok... It's late :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
bah. just think of WotC as the Ultimate DM and you won't have a problem. you can bitch about a ruling your DM made, but it won't change the fact that is how he/she/it ruled, right? ;)

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Bah, but when I am DMing then I don't give a thought about what previous DM's said. I think my point is WotC has lost that 'ultimate DM' aura by publishing all these incorrect things all the time.

My mind keeps bringing up the fact that something like one or two of the big names involved with the great thing 3e's birth was are still there. Though to be fair that's just a nagging doubt I can't kick.

Otterscrubber

First Post
When I first bought the 3E D&D books I was sooo pleased that they seem to have cleaned up all the unecessary complexity of 2E. So many things seemed much smoother and logical now. Although lately I have been trying to keep up with all the errata, house rules, clarifications and updates that there is too much confusion.

My best example is that I am still trying to wrestle (no pun intended) with the grappling rules. They just do not flow well, too many confusing permutations in a fight that it makes it mostly a gut call on my part as DM to resolve certain situations. I really don't like that as there are some situations that I would like to be able to resolve with grapple, but I actually now try to avoid having those situations in my adventures for fear that it will over complicate things.

Wish things could go a little smoother. It appears that I also am having trouble coming to my point........(Insert cohesive statement here)

Croaker

First Post
Poor Krusk

One thing I noticed was the goblin priest's coup de grace seemed awfully quick. Doesn't a full-round action go off right before your next action? When the goblin lined up his shot on Krusk, the rest of the heroes should have had a round to interfere, but the DM rolled damage and saves right away. The worst part is, he even mentioned that it was a full-round action.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
A full round/attack action resolves on your turn. You don't get to move or do any MEA's though. You can take a 5 foot step usually.

You are thinking of a spell with a casting time of 1 round. This is not the same as a full round/attack.

Remove ads