Gaming stores in the Denver area?

Yeoman

First Post
I just moved out here to Lakewood, and I was wondering where I might find a good game store with a good selection of d20 stuff.

Thanks.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I haven't lived in Colorado in some time, but The Wizard's Chest in Cherry Hills is probably one of the best game stores in the country. It's not too close to Lakewood, but it's definitely worth a trip. Sorry I can't help you with something closer to a FLGS.

Fate Lawson

First Post
For a spot closer to Lakewood you could check out Black&Read at 80th and Wadsworth, while not exactly the prettiest store ( it's a mess and half) they do have a lot of used gaming books, and appear to try to keep up with the latest releases, just be prepared to search through the shelves. ;)

DMStehlek

First Post
Attactix in Aurora

I used to live in Aurora (opposite side of Denver from you) - there is a great store called Attactix. They are at South Chambers Rd. and Hampden (don't have the exact address). They carry a ton of stuff - just watch out for the ultranerds.

Big_Daddy

First Post
While I've only been in the Wizard's Chest, it surely didn't strike me as a "gaming store." I was more of a yuppie's fantasy store that happend to sell some D20 stuff.

I've lived in Colorado all my life, and while I don't claim to know much, I do know that the three BEST "gaming" stores are Attactix (Aurora near Hampden & Chambers), Valhalla's (Wheatridge near 44th & Wadsworth) and Bonnie Brae Hobbies (Englewood near Broadway & Hampden). There are many other stores where you can buy DnD books and other gaming supplies, such as the 2 Colpar stores (Aurora & Littleton), Black and Read (great selection of used books too), Hobbytown and several others I can't think off at this time.

Overall best selection is undoubtably Attactix in Aurora. They've got the most stuff and the widest selection.

You'll have to check them all out in time to determine which one you like best, but the closest ones to you will be Bonnie Brae Hobbies, Colpar (near Hampden & Wadsworth) or Valhalla's.

For gaming groups, check out House of Dragons at this website...

http://www.houseofdragons.net

They have current and upcoming events listed on their website.

If you have ANY questions feel free to contact at any time. :cool:

Ken
marcainduvall@yahoo.com

Lu Wei Fong

First Post
I would have to agree with the Attactix and Bonnie Brae choices. I don't have many opportunities to get to Attacticx, but they are very good. Bonnie Brae is an excellent store with excellent selection and the people there are some of the friendliest I've ever met, a wonderful place to go :)

Azlan

First Post
Fate Lawson said:
For a spot closer to Lakewood you could check out Black&Read at 80th and Wadsworth, while not exactly the prettiest store ( it's a mess and half) they do have a lot of used gaming books, and appear to try to keep up with the latest releases, just be prepared to search through the shelves. ;)

Black & Read is a great place to go, especially if you're looking for out-of-print RPG material. The shelves in that store are literally spilling over with that stuff! (Really, they are.) And you won't find yourself paying exorbitant prices for it, either. Just about all of it is sold at 50% of original cover price, and most of it is in good condition.

Myself, I've gotten just about everything ever printed by TSR for Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Birthright, and Al Qadim, this way. And if I wanted to, I could do same with TSR's Dark Sun and Planescape. It's all there, at Black & Read!

BEKirby

First Post
Azlan said:
Black & Read is a great place to go, especially if you're looking for out-of-print RPG material. The shelves in that store are literally spilling over with that stuff! (Really, they are.) And you won't find yourself paying exorbitant prices for it, either. Just about all of it is sold at 50% of original cover price, and most of it is in good condition.

Consider B&R thirded. A good friend of mine took us out there when we were visiting out Colorado way earlier this year. Not only were the prices for used books cut in half, but a lot of the new material was 20% to 30% off.

I consider myself fortunate that I live near NYC (where our choices are pretty much =sigh= The Compeat Strategist, where you can find 20-year-old books for 0% off), else my discretionary spending limit would have to go WAY up.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I've lived in Denver for years and I never even heard of Valhalla's. Interesting.

One warning on Colpar Hobbies: the last time I was in there, they had one tiny little rack of stuff, mostly Warhammer. That was about a year ago. I'll probably never know if they've improved the place.

Black & Read is very cool. The last time I was in there, they had expanded and finished remodeling, so they not only had a lot of stuff, but also they were tidy and organized. I found a cheap, brand-new-looking copy of the Complete Alchemist from way back in the first days of 1e. Very cool.

Attactix has the most complete selection, by far, of all the stores (again, I don't know about Valhalla's) is Attactix. Don't expect friendliness or service, though, unless you're buying Magic Cards or whatever trendy collectable game is out at the moment. They are the unFLGS I go to when I'm not buying on Amazon. Which isn't often. :)

M

MrKen

New info

I know this thread is from the Dark Ages and all those who have had questions regarding local gaming outlets have found their answers, but, for those who now find themselves in that very same situation, here is a more complete and up to this date answer.

In my opinion Attactix is the best. That could be because I live close (was there last night) and they solve all my gaming needs. That said those in Wheatridge will disagree with me 100%. For them it is Valhalla's for sure.

Others include: CollectorsMania in Parker, It's Your Move in Boulder, Colpar Hobbies In Aurora (I believe they just opened another store, but I don't know where), Hobbytown Westminster, The Comic Store Westminster, Mizell Trains Westminster, Bob's World of Hobbies Littleton, Bonnie Brae Hobby Shop Denver and Boulder Hobbies in Boulder.

For those out of the Denver metro area there is also: Complete Games & Hobbies in Colorado Springs, The Silver Dragon in the Springs, Stonebridge in Longmont, Serpent World Games Grand Junction, Great West Games in Grand Junction, White River Trading CO in Meeker, Marshaks House of Fantasy in Ft. Collins, Digital Dungeon in Greeley, Ralph's Hobby Town in Sterling, Gamer's Gathering South, and North in Colorado Springs and Hobby Hut in Grand Junction.

And don't forget the conventions: Genghis Con in mid February and TactiCon during October. Also we have BenCon and MileHiCon.

Remove ads