• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gate and Klurichiir

Darth Shoju

First Post
My DM pointed out something at Saturday's game that scared the stuff out of me. He was reading the gate spell and pointed out that a 17th level wizard could use Gate to summon a Klurichiir (sp?) or even Demogorgon himself. I said "Yeah, but that wizard is in trouble when the spell ends!". At this point he pointed out to me that the demon (or Demon Lord) is dismissed back to their plane at the end of the spell, and as long as it's HD (or twice the HD for specific demons I think) don't exceed that of the gating wizard's, they must perform a simple task for the wizard for the duration of the spell (1 round per level).

As I said, I found this rather frightening. Our party is average level 11 right now. I don't think it would be too out of the realm of reasoning for our DM to throw a 17th level wizard at us when we hit 14th level (or even earlier, as I see by many modules and Dungeon adventures that the CRs of many BBEG greatly exceed the average party level).

I was just wondering...are we miss-interrpereting the rules, or is this not as powerful as I think? Or perhaps there is an errata on it somewhere?

Thanks

edited for clarity

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Don't know what a Klurichiir is, but you've got the rules basically right (except the unique beings bit, they can't be called). Of course, just because they're sent back doesn't mean they can't get revenge, especially if they're powerful. Heck, if the enemy couldn't get back at you, I'd suggest going out to buy the Epic Level Handbook for the incredibly scary beasts you could summon from it.

Also, I'm not sure what the fix is in 3.5, but I believe they at least partially remedied the problem.

Darth Shoju

First Post
James McMurray said:
Don't know what a Klurichiir is, but you've got the rules basically right (except the unique beings bit, they can't be called).
[snip]
Also, I'm not sure what the fix is in 3.5, but I believe they at least partially remedied the problem.
The Klurichiir (I'm pretty sure I'm spelling that wrong) is a demon from the Fiend Folio. It's the one that's described in the text as "if Balors have nightmares, they're probably about Klurichiir." (or something to that effect). Unfortuneatly I left my PHB at my friend's house Saturday night, so I'm just going off my memory of what our DM read out loud. I'm sure you guys are right about not being able to gate in unique creatures, I'll have to read the spell again. And I hope 3.5 does fix this, as it seems a little powerful to me as is.

Thanks!

Gwarok

Explorer
Actually if you have the demon's name, you can summon specific ones. And sure you could get Demogorgon to do you a favor, but like the man said, that spell is only good for so long then you've got one VERY pissed, VERY powerful demon that has suddenly bumped your soul to the top of the list for eternal damnation.

James McMurray

First Post
Unless the spell is changed in 3.5, you cannot summon Demogoron, since he is a unique being, and the spell description specifically prevents that. For that matter, I would go ahead and rule that you can't summon any specific being, only a specific race. Its a fairly liberal interpretation of the "no unique beings" clause, but it prevents the spell from being used as an assassination tool by gating your enemy in and forcing him to stand still while you whack on him.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Note that dismissed creatures are under no obligation to remain home. Even if they can't travel the planes on their own, powerful ones almost certainly have access to an ally or item that can work the trick. After the spell ends-- a round later, or an hour, or two years-- the demon may suddenly reappear and have your entrails for breakfast.

Even worse, remember that when Demogorgon is sitting at home, you're an extraplanar creature from his point of view. If you get gated in for twenty rounds of service to a demon prince, I guarantee you won't like the experience. ("Mortal wizard, I order you to shine my shoes with your tongue. Yes, I know they're covered in flaming poisonous razor-tipped ants, do it anyway.")

Darth Shoju

First Post
AuraSeer said:

Even worse, remember that when Demogorgon is sitting at home, you're an extraplanar creature from his point of view. If you get gated in for twenty rounds of service to a demon prince, I guarantee you won't like the experience. ("Mortal wizard, I order you to shine my shoes with your tongue. Yes, I know they're covered in flaming poisonous razor-tipped ants, do it anyway.")

Lol good point. I had pointed that out to my DM but he just shrugged. *sigh* I guess we'll just have to see how he plays that out. (although I did hint to him that if he does pull this tactic and gets a TPK, he would be lynched. :p )

Remove ads