• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GC & XBOX] Gameboy Player and Gladius

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

I got Gladius for the XBox before the XMas vacation started and spent a ton o' time playing the game. Think a cross between the movie Gladiator and a game of Chess. Turn-based, so definitely a slow-paced game, but I found it tons of fun. Combat is usually in arenas with different shapes, chokepoints, boxes and rocks to get a height advantage, and so on. Classes include typical things like Centurions and Archers, and fantasy flavor stuff like Undead Summoners and Minotaurs. (Minotaurs totally remind me of that big fat guy with the fake minotaur head in Time Bandits, btw.) Realtime proponents probably won't dig the game (I've read a comment about it being the worst game of the year, which boggles), but for patient people it can be a blast. And, honestly, it's not even that slow, with one exception, especially since _your_ moves, at least, are as fast as you can choose an action, move the cursor to a square, and press a button. Easy. The exception for speed is the Channeler class. God, I hate them with a passion. They're powerful, when used correctly, but fighting them is an extreme chore. Their animations are way slow and their manner of gaining mana is, in addition to being slow, easy for them to use often. Ugh.

Couple other details: A bit of manual dexterity is required to succeed in the game which initially skeered me, but except for one exception (again) it's not too bad. Actually somewhat makes the game a bit easy and unbalances one aspect of it. The primary mode of attacking an opponent puts up a "Swing Meter" on the screen. This is a multicolored bar with a red section (critical hit), yellow section, and blue section (miss). A button icon ("A" initially, different ones later) moves fairly quickly across the bar. Press the correct button while it's in the red section and that's a critical hit, too early and it's a regular "hit" that might miss, too late and it's a miss (and any iterative attacks also miss). Speaking of iterative attacks, when Gladiators level up, they get skill points, which they can spend on a _wide_ variety of mostly cool skills. One series of skills is Combo Attacks. Combo Attack 1 is the same as having a BAB of +6/+1. Combo Attack 2 is like a BAB of +11/+6/+1. Etc. The more iterative attacks, the more the Swing Meter partitions in multiple colors. With Combo Attack 4 there are 5 eensy red critical sections on the Swing Meter. Also, the button letter changes for each critical section ("A", "B", "A", "B", "A", or "A", B", "Y", "X", "A", etc.). Once I got the hang of this, I got criticals (even with Combo Attack 4) over 80% of the time, perhaps more.

Another common dexterity-required attack is one where you have to press 8 or 9 buttons in 5 seconds or so (to get a critical). You're shown 2 buttons at random ("B", "X") and a countdown begins for starting. Then you hit the two buttons in order, it shows you three new ones, hit those, and finally 2 or 3 more, hit those, and hopefully get a critical on a Long Throw of a spear or some other special attack. Once I got the hang of this version, I got criticals definitely over 90% of the time, I just needed my fingers to remember button locations.

The bad exception to the dexterity-required skills is the button mashing ones. Grr. A ton of people on the only board I found discussing the game had the same problem: quickly alternately pressing "A" and "B" is just too hard. I never once managed to get a critical. After a while, I just gave up and didn't buy any skills using this method, and hid the skills using it on gladiators that started with the skill.

So... that was long and meandering. Anyone else play this game? Thoughts?

In other console news, I got a GameCube and for one reason only: The GameBoy Player. The best source of turn-based games seems to be the GBA. I got Fire Emblem (awesome game) a couple weeks ago, but the GBA is just too itsy bitsy. Playing it on my TV is much more relaxing and no need to recharge batteries. Next in line are Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Advance Wars (all very similar games).

Hmm, actually, I guess next in line _really_ is the Urban Chaos mod finally released for JA2. Anyone who is a fan of Jagged Alliance 2 should visit www.ja-galaxy-forum.com and at least check out the discussion. Hey, it's another turn-based game, what an amazing coincidence.

Take care,
Dreeble

andrew

First Post
Gladius button mashing too hard? Bah! Anyone who played Track and Field on the NES can tell you about real button-mashing. Blisters for weeks!

Anyway, one of the easier ways to button-mash in Gladius (esp. good for wicked bear bites) is to point your index finger in between the A & B buttons (or whatever you're mashing) and vigorously rub your finger back and forth between the buttons. It's a similar motion to scratching off a lotto ticket with your fingernail.

Other strategies that I've seen include using a pen or some other tool to do the rubbing for you. I don't know what effect this will have on your controller. The A&B buttons on my NES made a V between them because of the serious mashing. I can't say if the Xbox controllers will suffer the same fate.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I haven't played the game, but if you can take your right hand and use your index finger and middle finger to tap the buttons quickly as opposed to your thumb, you'll go much faster. The caveat is that I've played brass instruments for over ten years, and just started playing piano, so my fingers are pretty nimble. YMMV.

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

In the case of Zod the Bear ("Kneel before Zod!") I never bothered with his Bite attack. My strategy with him was to do a Charge Attack and then next turn do my absolutely favorite skill attack in the entire game: Powered Pull Down. Man, I loved this. While Zod was pouding and trampling away at his target I'd yell, "Grr! Smash! Rawr! Grr!" Fun skill and totally funny to watch. ;)

In general, the only skill I think I really regret not being able to successfully button mash was Ursula's Spell Blast. It had such a big area of effect I kept thinking it was probably a really nice skill, but I could never get a critical with it (or any of the other mashers), so I don't really know how much damage it might've been capable of.

Anyway, ultra fun game and if there's a sequel or expansion (the cutscene at the end strongly implies this), then I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Take care,
Dreeble

MJEggertson

First Post
Heh, track and field. I think we had a controller fall victim to that game...

I love Gladius too. I rented it, and I'll be picking it up soon. I put something like 25 hours into the game in one week...I had falen ill and rented the game for something to do. I found the same thing with the alternating mash. I think I scored a crit once, but all too often, I can't even score a hit. Friggin rediculous.

mmu1

First Post
Well, so much for my plan to buy Gladius at some point. The previews looked good, and I was really happy to hear "turn-based"... But this has got to be the most ridiculous, stupid, assinine, pointless, retarted thing I've ever heard of anyone putting into a turn-based game. I want my character's skills to determine how he does in combat, not how quickly I can enter button combos. Sometimes I think the console world will kill gaming...

Henry

Autoexreginated
I LOVE the Combo Attacks for Bandits. :D

In fact, my biggest trick was taking a team of bandits into ANY battle for points. Two bandits standing on opposite sides of an opponent is like a flanking team of rogues - they do HIDEOUS amounts of backstab damage. With two 5th level rogues in the first Realm of the game, I usually won the points battles by a 3-to-1 margin. :)

Fun game, I only wish it was available on the PC instead.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Dreeble said:
Heya:

In the case of Zod the Bear ("Kneel before Zod!") I never bothered with his Bite attack. My strategy with him was to do a Charge Attack and then next turn do my absolutely favorite skill attack in the entire game: Powered Pull Down. Man, I loved this. While Zod was pouding and trampling away at his target I'd yell, "Grr! Smash! Rawr! Grr!" Fun skill and totally funny to watch. ;)
Well of course. Zod is best character in the game. :)

I love it when someone attempts to strike the BBB (big black bear) and gets a Raging Bear in answer, then he just Pull's Down the offender, and then Hibernates his health back. :D

Oh and Zod has given the best Gladius moment for me so far. He got surrounded by three full health heavies, two of them struck him with a 4xcombo, the third with a 5xcombo, all of the attacks hit, yet somehow Zod managed to stay alive, and then did a Raging Bear attack on each and every one of the attacks taking out all three. :p

Last edited:

Remove ads