• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gears of War (Xbox 360)

Arnwyn

First Post
TwistedBishop said:
How much proof does it really need?
More than what you've got.

And the Gamespot note is irrelevant - it's been well documented that playtime for reviewers is significantly different than how consumers actually play the games (some interesting past "editorials" at IGN and some print game rags).

But in any case, I'll add (just off the top of my head):
Halo 2 (not 10 hours)
Conflict series (4 games)
Okami
plus the others listed above (all 17+ hours).

You're right - there isn't a whole lot more to say.

TwistedBishop

First Post
Arnwyn said:
More than what you've got.

I would like to see some proof from your side. All I've seen so far is a second mention of Okami (not a shooter), claims against Halo 2's play length (it's documented in reviews), and now the Conflict series? I had never even tried these, and a quick glance at Gamespot shows why with such low scores. That alone wouldn't disqualify them from this conversation, however the fact their "length", it would appear, is due to a poor save system certainly might.

I can think of 10 shooters just off the top of my head that are 10 hour ones and from recent memory. You've got 3 proven ones (Halo, RE4, HL2) and had to go back to years to sloppy PS2 games to find 4 more from the Conflict series? And you still haven't equaled my numbers. That's far from representative of the genre.

Arnwyn said:
And the Gamespot note is irrelevant - it's been well documented that playtime for reviewers is significantly different than how consumers actually play the games.

This entire discussion is based around what reviewers (or developers) claim a game length is.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I just picked it up and played through the tutorial level. I love it. A shooter that makes you use cover so you don't get killed.

John Crichton

First Post
RE: Play time for single player/co-op mode - IGN says 7 hours (?) but other places are putting it around 15, which sounds more realistic considering deaths and such.

Anyway, if I wasn't already playing 3 new games I'd pick this one up right away. I'll wait for a price drop. :) Shooters are the last of my favorite genres so I can hold off, even if the game looks simply beautiful.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Bought it last night and I love it. Played it 3 hours in co-op, which was a blast, definately up there with Halo (in fact, I like it better than Halo 2 thus far). The graphics are great, though when you get hit, the blood splatter looks odd to me. After I beat it, I'll go onto multiplayer and the hardest difficulty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads