Gen Con Expands!

relief from overcrowding for sure. I'm happy about it!

Vampyr3

Explorer
I've been there several times - including staying at the Staybridge once which is behind the stadium - and have never seen such a tunnel.

There's a road tunnel under the railway tracks, and a long hallway going south from the ICC right next to it, but both end before the street that runs crosswise between the ICC and the stadium; you have to go outside to cross this street and the plaza in front of the stadium...which is no big deal, really; it's not that far.

If you go over to the entrance that is by South St and Capitol, there is a tunnel to Lucas.. it's always been closed and locked.. (if there is a Pre Season Game, they have security there making sure you have a Game ticket)

I always stay at the comfort suites (Which is across the street from Lucas) which are 5 blocks away, and come in that door, so I pass that tunnel every day of the con.

DM Howard

Explorer
I went to Gen Con this summer and while I am happy I finally went I don't believe I would go again. The convention, in my mind, is VASTLY better when you are within walking distance of the action. I can check this off my nerd list underneath visiting Games Workshop's Nottingham HQ and meeting Margaret and Tracy. I recommend that people go if they haven't but once I got over the sheer number of people and the size of the main hall I left slightly underwhelmed.

fjw70

Adventurer
I went to Gen Con this summer and while I am happy I finally went I don't believe I would go again. The convention, in my mind, is VASTLY better when you are within walking distance of the action. I can check this off my nerd list underneath visiting Games Workshop's Nottingham HQ and meeting Margaret and Tracy. I recommend that people go if they haven't but once I got over the sheer number of people and the size of the main hall I left slightly underwhelmed.

I have been a few times in the past, with last year being the most recent. I was really shocked how much more crowded it has become. The dealer hall is one of my favorite parts and it was super packed at all times. In the past Sunday would be considerably less crowded but not last year. Not sure if I want to go back.

I might go to Winter Fantasy in 2016. I went there in 2012 for the 5e play test and enjoyed that experience. Plus it's closer.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
All they need to do now is move it to a town that can actually accommodate that many people. Indianapolis ain't it. I live in the next state over in Illinois and since they moved to Indy I have NEVER been able to go. All the hotels sell out almost instantly leaving nothing left. It's too long of a drive for me to just do a day trip but I can never find any available hotels. Kind of sad really. I had better luck when it was up in Milwaukee.

fjw70

Adventurer
Well to be fair there are always rooms available, just maybe not in walking range. I did a last minute trip last year for the weekend and stayed at a hotel by the airport (10-15 minute drive to convention center I seem to remember) and parking on the weekend at least was easy (right across the street), and the hotel had a shuttle to the con.

skraig1

Villager
I went to 2014 and 2015. It was a good time. There were some problems. The convention has outgrown the housing available. That means that simple supply and demand made the hotel rooms get really expensive. (this is the invisible hand of Adam Smith giving us the bird). The organizers are trying to manage this but it won't be an easy fix.
The other problem that Indy has can't be fixed by the organizers. Transportation. Flying to Indy is expensive, driving to Indy is pretty bad for most of the people in North America. I am driving next time after flying the last two. I lose two days but it is significantly less expensive. Oh and you pretty much can't take a train to Gencon. From the east coast you get sent to Chicago and then get to go Greyhound the rest of the way.
I enjoyed it in 14 and 15 but would enjoy it a lot more if it were easier to get to and cheaper to attend.

darjr

I crit!
I think there are a couple bus routes now.

Could use a self driving motor home. Could play and sleep on the road then.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads