• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[GenCon] POI at GenCon

shouit

Explorer
I am interested in the different things to do besides the Con. I went last year and only hung out at the Con. This year would like to do some other things. I was wondering where/what is the Safehouse? I get the idea that it is a bar, but what is so special about it. Also, where is this german place? I hear about both of these things and was wondering where they are relative to the convention center. Is there anything else we(my gfriend and I) should check out while we be out there?

Baron Von StarBlade

shouit said:
I am interested in the different things to do besides the Con. I went last year and only hung out at the Con. This year would like to do some other things. I was wondering where/what is the Safehouse? I get the idea that it is a bar, but what is so special about it. Also, where is this german place? I hear about both of these things and was wondering where they are relative to the convention center. Is there anything else we(my gfriend and I) should check out while we be out there?

The Safehouse is a bar that has lots of secret passages/hidden rooms etc in it. There is a link on the main page about it being the subject of a History Channel Show, its going to be on tonight if I remember correctly.

If you are looking for other things to do you can always hit the Bristol Reinnaisance Fair. It is held just south of Milwaukee. Here is a link to it.

shouit said:

The Safe House is a spy-themed bar built in the 1960s. (It was on Secret Passages on "The History Channel" last night.) It has no address or phone number or advertising. You have to know where it is. There are a lot of secret passages and interesting features (a bathroom medicine chest that opens to show the front bar; a spinning booth; secret doors; etc.). I've lived in Milwaukee for 7 years and I have never been to The Safe House--but I do know where it is. :D

The German restaurant in Milwaukee is Maders. It's close to the Midwest Express Center, about 1/2 a mile away. Certainly within walking distance, but if it's hot and humid the walk might not be much fun.

If you're into plants, go to The Domes (real name "Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory" but no one calls it that). They have three beehive-shaped domes, One is a tropcial environment, one is arid, and the third dome changes displays several times a year.

The weekend after GenCon is Milwaukee Irish Fest. Unfortunately, there are no large festivals scheduled for the weekend before or the weekend of GenCon.

Bristol Renaissance Faire is about 30-40 miles south of Milwaukee (at the Illinois border). It's only open on the weekends.

Unfortunately, the Wisonsin State Fair is also going on during GenCon. Probably just means more traffic and worse hotel rates for everyone. If you do go, be sure to check out the pig races and U.S. Senator Herb Kohl's milk booth. And eat a cream puff. It's in State Fair Park in West Allis, WI, about 5 miles west of downtown Milwaukee.

I'll try to post more later.

[edit - fix typo]

Last edited:

shouit

Explorer
How does one find out how to get to the SafeHouse? If there is no address, advertising, etc. Could someone email me directions? I would really like to check it out.

RatPunk

First Post
I can't give you directions to the Safe House (even though I have been there), but I can give you another opinion.

Personally, I found the Safe House to be overly crowded and expensive, especially during GenCon. In my opinion, it is simply over-rated.

I'll admit, the theme is cool and it might be a whole different ball of wax some other time of year, but during GenCon everyone and there brother (and cousins, aunts and dogs) is there.

As for Maders, I've never been there, but I have friends who have. It also is expensive, but it's a high class eating establishment kind of expensive. I would put it down as a "try only if you have extra money" stop.

Just my $0.02. Your mileage will probably vary.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
You should have check the NEWS yesterday! You would have seen my scoop saying that the Safe House was going to be on the History Channel's show Secret Passages! You would have learned all!

It is not list, it is a word of mouth club.

Oh, the show is repeated on Saturdays at noon!

Last edited:

RatPunk said:
I can't give you directions to the Safe House (even though I have been there), but I can give you another opinion.

Personally, I found the Safe House to be overly crowded and expensive, especially during GenCon. In my opinion, it is simply over-rated.

I'll admit, the theme is cool and it might be a whole different ball of wax some other time of year, but during GenCon everyone and there brother (and cousins, aunts and dogs) is there.
Yes, it has a reputation for cool theme, bad food, and over-priced drinks. I have heard that the place is packed during GenCon, so if you can go before or after GenCon, that's probably better.

RatPunk said:
As for Maders, I've never been there, but I have friends who have. It also is expensive, but it's a high class eating establishment kind of expensive. I would put it down as a "try only if you have extra money" stop.
Exactly. It's kind of pricey, but that's Milwaukee-pricey, not New York-pricey. I went there once during lunch and the food was not hot, but other than that, it's been excellent every time I've gone (including our rehearsal dinner for 40).

Last edited:

shouit

Explorer
Therefore, if it is a word of mouth club, how does one find it? Do I need to find someone at the con and ask them for directions? Or do I just tail someone that looks like a spy and hopefully they are going there instead of CIA headquarters. Both would be cool, thou!

If someone who is going to the Con and is planning on doing the meeting on Fri night, show me where it is, I would really really appreciate it...

I know I missed the History channel expo yesterday, it made me remember about asking, I am going on vacation and wont have cable, so I will miss it on Sat.....

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
shouit said:
Therefore, if it is a word of mouth club, how does one find it? Do I need to find someone at the con and ask them for directions? Or do I just tail someone that looks like a spy and hopefully they are going there instead of CIA headquarters. Both would be cool, thou!

If someone who is going to the Con and is planning on doing the meeting on Fri night, show me where it is, I would really really appreciate it...

I know I missed the History channel expo yesterday, it made me remember about asking, I am going on vacation and wont have cable, so I will miss it on Sat.....

Okay, it is about five blocks (maybe six) to the east, if you hit the lake you have gone too far :).
It is one block up (north) from the street that the mall is on.
It is on the cannel.
The front of the building is call International Imports and Exports.
Well, if I have not got you lost you may find it.
The line at the door is a give away too!

Okay, here is a link to their site...

http://www.safe-house.com/mainmenu.cfm

Last edited:

RatPunk

First Post
And the main entrance is around back in the alley.

Also, there is a wooden sign at that door that has a lot of writing on it, but the letters S A F E H O U S E are highlighted...

Last edited:

Remove ads