• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gencon, WOTC, and D20 Modern

Wasgo

Explorer
Vigilance said:
So for us at least there seemed plenty of interest... it does seem strange that WOTC wouldnt talk about it with dark matter so close.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really consider WotC when thinking about Modern anymore. I mean, sure, I'll buy some of their toolkit books to grab some mechanics from, but when I think about Modern, I think about RPG Objects. When you guys put out a new release, I'll read all about it, check the reviews, and usually decide right away if I plan to buy it. With WotC, it's a matter of if I see it at my local store and it looks interesting. Quite frankly, their support doesn't matter much to me.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
What's the likelihood that all of the 3rd party D20 Modern publishers get together and have a unified D20 Modern booth at the next GenCon? All of the publishers who use the Modern rules could find space for their product. It would be very nice to see, but then again, I wouldn't know how much this would cost to get that much booth space.

I dunno, maybe after Star Wars Saga Edition comes out, 6–8 months later we'll see D20 Modern Revised and Expanded. ;)

Vigilance said:
I cant speak for WOTC, I know we had two d20 Modern games with adventures written specifically for Gen Con running (adventures now available from RPGNow).

So for us at least there seemed plenty of interest... it does seem strange that WOTC wouldnt talk about it with dark matter so close.

Chuck

Which adventures?

Vigilance

Explorer
Feeding Grounds, for Darwin's World, and Nostradamus Gambit for Blood and Relics.

I also recently did Powderkeg for d20 Future.

I've been an adventure writing machine lately ;)

Chuck

Ranger REG

Explorer
Wasgo said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really consider WotC when thinking about Modern anymore. I mean, sure, I'll buy some of their toolkit books to grab some mechanics from, but when I think about Modern, I think about RPG Objects. When you guys put out a new release, I'll read all about it, check the reviews, and usually decide right away if I plan to buy it. With WotC, it's a matter of if I see it at my local store and it looks interesting. Quite frankly, their support doesn't matter much to me.
No wonder gamers didn't consider WotC when thinking about Alternity either, Wasgo.

You're right. You don't speak for anyone else.

Wasgo

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
No wonder gamers didn't consider WotC when thinking about Alternity either, Wasgo.

You're right. You don't speak for anyone else.

I'm sorry, but given the average quality of an RPGO release versus a WotC release, and my limited gaming budget, I'm not going to bother checking out ever WotC release. It's not that I specifically exclude them, but for me to go out of my way to check up on all their releases, they need to be more consistant in quality. Sure, they might put out a great product that I miss, but I can't say I really care. I'm happy with the quantity of material I buy now.

Roudi

First Post
d20 Apocalypse? Mighty fine work.

d20 Future Tech? Very decent work.

In terms of "varying quality", the only real rotten egg in the basket seems to be d20 Past (and even some folks would disagree with that assessment). Considering "checking out" a supplement isn't a very significant investment of time (just a matter of browsing previews, reviews, and gathering word of mouth), I'd say you're missing out on a lot by automatically writing off WotC.

Besides, d20 Dark*Matter looks to be the great redemption. I had no idea what D*M was until I was directed to a certain story hour; now, after exploring older Alternity documents for the setting, I'm convinced this is what d20 Modern really needs from WotC. A fine, open-ended setting with plenty for a crafty GM to work with.

It boggles my mind that it received no attention whatsoever at GenCon.

Roudi

First Post
In all honestly, some of us will be too busy with Dark*Matter to notice a lack of any other releases.

But, the lack of any other scheduled releases (and the cancellation of Spectaculars) is a little puzzling.

kingpaul

First Post
Roudi said:
In terms of "varying quality", the only real rotten egg in the basket seems to be d20 Past (and even some folks would disagree with that assessment).
Consider me someone who disagrees with you. :D

The only modern books I'm missing by WotC are Critical Locations and Menace Manual...and its because I haven't gotten around to buying them yet. :)

Remove ads