• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
BreninyrHydrefEWPortrait.png

I'm thinking Breninyr will be a Herald of Irthos (Priest of Quellan), very strong in Wisdom and Charisma - a roaming diplomat of good-will.

His second domain will be Home.

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
My combat oriented cleric comment was for mfloyd because he was looking for something more interesting in the melee area. Not all clerics need to be combat oriented, as shown below.

Are you sure you want the 4 Monk/4+ Cleric path? He is going to have a 6 BAB, weak spells, weak channeling, still wanting to be unarmored to use some monk skills, even weaker monk combat abilities. The only good thing he would have is saves. The Leadership replacement and Home domain powers wouldn't kick in for another year approximately when you get to 12th level. None of the monk skills seem to aid in the goal of buffer/party support.

I could see going Monk 2/Cleric 6+ if you were focusing on combat styles with the Master of Many Styles. But that would be more of a combat focused cleric.

I would expect a buffing cleric that multiclassed would go with bard as the other class. In my kingmaker game, my cohort, which is Cleric 3 (freedom and travel)/Archivist Bard 5 is holding up well when the other characters are tenth level. She focused on immediate spells and face skills. She doesn't do damage, but all around her are +3 to hit, +2 to saves. If someone misses a critical attack, a Gallant Inspiration adds a +2d4 retroactively, and they don't miss. Stack on a Heroism on a frontliner or two, and the party is going strong. Since the archivist gives an insight bonus with her performance, it would stack with the many moral or competence bonuses she can deliver otherwise. An added bonus is that it would stack with a second normal bard's performance which gives competence and moral bonuses. So, two different archetype bards in a party are a powerhouse combination.

Besides, he looks like a smooth talking bard. ;)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'd originally meant to go Monk 2/Cleric 6, but then I started looking at the Monk abilities for levels 3 and 4 and really liked them.

I know PF generally punishes more than a 2 level dip, and that (for now, at least) he'll end up being a mediocre combat/mediocre buffer/mediocre healer. But I think I've got a build that will have something to do in most parties and situations, and won't be a handicap to the groups he's adventuring with.

Keeping in mind that I'm not looking for a highly optimized character, but one that will be useful in a variety of circumstances and parties, take a look at the attached sheet and let me know what you think.

EDIT: I realized in looking over the character that the feat combination I took would be impossible, as it depended on taking a Channel feat before he had the Channel class feature. Substitute Crushing Blow for Tiger Claws.

Attachments

• Breninyr Hydref (Take 02).pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Qik

First Post
Mowgli, have you thought about taking the Sensei archetype? I'm not entirely convinced of it, but bardic performance would synergize with your roll as party buffer, and the Wis to attack would help with grappling. Combining it with Mantis Style would help boost the viability of your Stunning Fists, and combing it with Snapping Turtle Style (esp. Snapping Turtle Clutch) would help improve grappling. It's not "zomg overpowered" by any means, but it may or may not be boost your efficiency and versatility, depending on your perspective.

Another random thought: I personally love the Maneuver Master, especially if you're not going straight monk.

Not sure if any of that's helpful; just a few thoughts.

Qik

First Post
Mowgli, have you thought about taking the Sensei archetype? I'm not entirely convinced of it, but bardic performance would synergize with your roll as party buffer, and the Wis to attack would help with grappling. Combining it with Mantis Style would help boost the viability of your Stunning Fists, and combing it with Snapping Turtle Style (esp. Snapping Turtle Clutch) would help improve grappling. It's not "zomg overpowered" by any means, but it may or may not be boost your efficiency and versatility, depending on your perspective.

Another random thought: I personally love the Maneuver Master, especially if you're not going straight monk.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!

Thanks, Qik! I'd looked at and discarded the Maneuver Master already, but I completely missed the Sensei archetype, which fits well both thematically and mechanically for him. Replacing Tiger Style with Mantis Style would help with Crushing Blow, Stun and Fatigue on his Stunning Fists. And going from +0 on CMB/Attacks to +6 is well worth losing the Dodge feat, I think.

Caim

First Post
I'm thinking of making a cleric since I retired Naria. But first I have some questions, maybe requests, regarding the deities on the wiki. There are several deities that do not have domains listed and the one I am referring to is Callisto. She is the Goddess of travelers and luck so one could assume that both travle and luck are two of her domains? Then I would need to know her favored weapon.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm thinking of making a cleric since I retired Naria. But first I have some questions, maybe requests, regarding the deities on the wiki. There are several deities that do not have domains listed and the one I am referring to is Callisto. She is the Goddess of travelers and luck so one could assume that both travle and luck are two of her domains? Then I would need to know her favored weapon.

That would require a separate discussion thread, I think, so we could hammer out all that information without getting lost in or overwhelming other discussion here in 'General'. Feel free to start any such discussions you want. Note that expanding the non-mechanical portion is a good way to get discussion going and justify the mechanical. I do love pantheon-creation discussions.

Remove ads