• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

Son of Meepo

First Post
Newb question here.

Do characters have to be approved before they enter the inn or can they rp while waiting for approvals?

Wasn't sure if LPF operated the same was as some of the other living campaigns here.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Crossbow Question

In another game I play, a question has come up regarding Heavy Crossbow, Rapid Reload and Rapid Shot.

I'm trying to wrap my head around getting off two shots in a round with a heavy crossbow. A literal interpretation of the Rapid Shot rules indicates that (even without Rapid Reload) one would get an extra shot with the heavy crossbow - which takes a standard action to reload (or a move action even with Rapid Reload). Is this, in fact, the case? Or am I missing something?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Sorry, but I don't think you can use Rapid Shot with a Heavy Crossbow unless you have a way of reloading it as a free action. (Crossbow Mastery probably)

Rapid Shot is a Full-Attack action and loading a heavy crossbow is a Full-Round action. So you can't do both in the same round (even with haste).

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
That was my thinking as well - and even with Rapid Reload reloading a heavy crossbow is a move action. But the Rapid Shot doesn't specify; it simply says "with a missile weapon."

Seemed crazy to me, when common sense says it simply wouldn't work, but I figured I check it out over here to make sure my thinking was straight.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
And then I go to read "Crossbow Mastery," and find that Rapid Shot is a pre-req for it. So I'm thinking that it also seems crazy to require a feat that is literally completely useless to you as a pre-req for a later feat.

EDIT: Never mind - you don't specify a particular type of weapon for Rapid Shot, so you could use it for lighter crossbows or other missile weapons while waiting to pick up Crossbow Mastery. (Not completely useless).

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Crossbow Mastery is the only way I see to get to fire a heavy crossbow as many times in a full attack action as you could using a bow. i.e. - With a BAB of +6/+1 you would get those two attacks.

And since you would have Rapid Shot you could use it instead during a round gaining the equivalent of a +4/+4/-1 BAB if you want to take the -2 penalty to all attacks.

Plus no longer provoking AoOs (with Rapid Reload weapon of choice) is a plus.

EDIT: You know a 2nd LvL human fighter could pick up Crossbow Mastery. Which is kind of a low level to be a master of something. LoL Wish they would have put a BAB requirement on it - like say +4 or +6 since it really kicks in when you have multiple attacks.

HM

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
I know it's somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it. Where is the current world map, complete with cities and adventure sites, to be found?

EDIT: NVM, finally found it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads