General movie discussion

So, I watched Bay's latest movie Ambulance last night, and I enjoyed it. It's not going to win any awards but I found it to be an enjoyable 2 and a half hours. I've been told that my definition of a good movie is very wide. I either enjoy a movie or I don't.

I'm also not expecting it to beat out Sonic for a number of reasons.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Moving this from the other thread....

Last night I watched Drive My Car (nominee for Best Picture and Best Director at the Academy Awards). It's on HBO Max for those who stream. Here are my impressions-

1. It's three hours long.

2. It's really powerful.

3. It's three hours long.

4. You don't have to know Chekhov or Uncle Vanya, but ... woah. The film isn't at all about that, but it's also not ... not about that.

5. It's, you know, three hours long.

6. Parts of the movie were just incredibly devastating; not in the way that you have this big Hollywood pathos (like a Sophie's Choice) but just in the quiet way life can be.

7. Note- contains language suitable for broadcast at 11:30pm

8. If you have three hours ... three uninterrupted hours (this isn't a "watch in the background" kind of movie ... this is a full attention thing) I really recommend it. I wondered what all the hoopla was about, and now I get it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Does Hulu make movies like Netflix and Amazon? If so, are any of them good?

GreyLord

Legend
Does Hulu make movies like Netflix and Amazon? If so, are any of them good?

Well, that's a low bar to set.

I think just about anyone makes movies better than Netflix and Amazon...

Edit - In general, there may be specific ones that beat the odds, but generally...ugh.

Ryujin

Legend
Moved out of the Morbius thread:

People talk about shows that leave them regretting watching it or raging over how it treated them (ala...game of thrones, lost).

Some stick with you for DECADES after, the horror is real.

The Prisoner (if it is the one I am thinking of) was great at first...but that end...that end...oh gosh...that end. Nothing has made one want to rage at the uselessness of the writing at the end...

I'd consider it the biggest loss of the class if you watched the last episode...because...no rage is like the rage of the unrequited lover.
We watched the whole thing, last episode included. Yes, it was the one starring Patrick McGoohan. He Made "Danger Man" in order to raise the funds to make his passion project, "The Prisoner."

I think that I can get away with spoiling an over 50 year old TV show.

The final episode: Number Six was actually Number One. You never saw Number One until the final episode. Number One was also the head of the nebulous, unnamed spy organization that "abducted" Number Six. Number One had himself abducted in order to test himself. If he could be broken, then how could anyone under him ever trust him? This was played out in true, 1960s psychedelic fashion, so frustrating for anyone who was thinking literally. I can see how people would consider this one of those "pretentious" films that I previously mentioned ;)

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
I received a DVD of Howard the Duck for Christmas as a gag gift. One of these days I'm going to pop it into the player and give it a view...I'll need to be pretty bored first, though.

Johnathan

Remove ads