General Player Principles for Better Play

Thomas Shey

Legend
I find spotlight grabbers tend also to more aggressive or assertive, and if they aren’t self aware enough and don’t get their way can be quite strident and unpleasant. This may often mean others in the group prefer to just let them have at it and try and just enjoy whatever spotlight is left over rather than getting in an argument over it. This may be the reason it isn’t commented on.

This is more or less what I was referring to in my post above, so yes, but by "not commented on" I was referencing "not commented on in discussion of game problems". I find it far more problematic than a lot of other behaviors that get more air-time.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I've spent so much time GMing that I tend to be very aware of this kind of thing when I play. If I feel like the focus is on me too much, I'll actively try to loop others in, or at the very least ask for their input. I'll eschew making a decision at times, even when I have something in mind, in order to see what others may say.

I want everyone involved in the game, not just the loudest, most direct person. It's good to have players who are engaged and who take decisive action... but not everyone is like that, and even those who are may not be so at all times under all circumstances.

This is especially relevant in games where the group is going to generally stay together... I don't want to have everything be decided by one person.

pogre

Legend
When I play, which is a fairly rare occurrence, I try to be an exemplary PC. I usually ask my GM what kind of PC would s/he find helpful for story hooks, tension, needed roles, etc. Much like DMing, I try to play in a way that adds to everyone's fun, and I try to invest in my PC and make it a memorable character.

I am mostly playing to get a better perspective from the other side of the screen to improve my own DMing, but I also see it as an opportunity to help create a fun and engaging game.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
The OP is pretty good. I'd offer one more: Do Something!

Whatever the situation is in an RPG, it's not going to be improved by sitting there indecisively agonizing over what you 'should' do or what the 'best' thing to do is. If you're not sure what to do, just do something and take it from there.
Everything in the OP I try my best to embody, but this right here is the one I actually struggle with the most, and I can actively see how it negatively impacts my play.

Teo Twawki

Coffee ruminator
When folks are havering about committing to action, one player in our usual group usually says something like, "Don't ask me to join the bandwagon of your own uncertainty." And then they do something to move the collective story forward.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The OP is pretty good. I'd offer one more: Do Something!

Whatever the situation is in an RPG, it's not going to be improved by sitting there indecisively agonizing over what you 'should' do or what the 'best' thing to do is. If you're not sure what to do, just do something and take it from there.
Corollary: be the one who does something, even if perhaps risky, rather than hang back and hope someone else takes the risk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases