General question using MS Paint or similar (free) program for Dungeon Mapping

lluewhyn

Explorer
Running Dungeon of the Mad Mage now. What I'm wanting to do is take the various map pages and import them into a basic graphic editor program like MS Paint or something similar, but set as a permanent background. I'll then fill up the image using black paint (except for Room 1), hook the computer up to the television in the room, and as the PCs are exploring, I'm wanting to "erase" the black fill covering up the rooms (without erasing the map underneath the fill), so the PCs can see the map unfold as they explore the dungeon. Trusting my PCs to RP properly regarding secret doors, so not too worried about that.

I'm not really very familiar with any of these programs, and was hoping if someone could help me out. Searching Google for setting a picture as a background seems to assume I'm importing a picture into Paint and trying to change a background for cropping purposes, so I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology.

Just wanting a much better and faster method than drawing the individual rooms out on graph paper and passing the tablet around the group. I'll still draw out rooms on the Chessex map when it comes to combat.

Turgenev

Hero
i don't use MS Paint but it sounds like you want the black fill on a separate layer above the background image (which is on its own layer). Perhaps try googling the phrase, 'MS Paint layers' for your answer.

Cheers,
Tim Hartin

Satyrn

First Post
Running Dungeon of the Mad Mage now. What I'm wanting to do is take the various map pages and import them into a basic graphic editor program like MS Paint or something similar, but set as a permanent background. I'll then fill up the image using black paint (except for Room 1), hook the computer up to the television in the room, and as the PCs are exploring, I'm wanting to "erase" the black fill covering up the rooms (without erasing the map underneath the fill), so the PCs can see the map unfold as they explore the dungeon. Trusting my PCs to RP properly regarding secret doors, so not too worried about that.

I'm not really very familiar with any of these programs, and was hoping if someone could help me out. Searching Google for setting a picture as a background seems to assume I'm importing a picture into Paint and trying to change a background for cropping purposes, so I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology.

Just wanting a much better and faster method than drawing the individual rooms out on graph paper and passing the tablet around the group. I'll still draw out rooms on the Chessex map when it comes to combat.
You want a graphics program with Layers. Each layer can be edited separately. I believe Paint.net will do you well.

Set the bottom layer to the map, and then fill the top layer black. And then during the game, make sure you're working with the top layer and you can easily erase the black as you need to.

Yea, you'll need layers. Gimp or Inkcarnate both have it.

Of course, VTT's have this capability (plus a lot more) already built in. You can use Roll20 (not a fan) free and do this. Fanatasy Grounds requires a license if you want to save your work (the demo doesn't save) and is my preferred VTT. But most every VTT out there can do an image mask that does exactly what you are wanting to do (plus a lot more).

Satyrn

First Post
Working with love, by the way, is like working with transparent sheets stacked on top of each other.

So like, the background is whatever's on the sheet at the bottom of the pile.

Edit: Working with layers, I mean.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I get what you are trying to do. Personally, I have found PowerPoint works great for my game using my laptop hooked up to a 55" TV for players to see. Each new slide is an expanded part of the map. I've attached a screen shot to give you the idea.

Attachments

• powerpoint.png
    powerpoint.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 699

lluewhyn

Explorer
You want a graphics program with Layers. Each layer can be edited separately. I believe Paint.net will do you well.

Set the bottom layer to the map, and then fill the top layer black. And then during the game, make sure you're working with the top layer and you can easily erase the black as you need to.

Thanks very much! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Dungeon of the Mad Mage -Level 1.jpg

lluewhyn

Explorer
I get what you are trying to do. Personally, I have found PowerPoint works great for my game using my laptop hooked up to a 55" TV for players to see. Each new slide is an expanded part of the map. I've attached a screen shot to give you the idea.

Thanks. I pondered using PowerPoint, but didn't think it was the best tool for this what I wanted to do. It seems better for having a lot of discrete map areas as opposed to a single large map that gets gradually expanded in a variety of ways, depending upon where the PCs go. I suppose I could also use PP if I wanted to just show individual rooms and give the PCs a challenge to try to remember which room leads back to where, but getting lost in this way was not a decision I wanted to use at this time.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I let the players map the dungeon themselves, and mostly use PP instead of minis. It works nice since I have it set with a 1" grid and all the characters and monsters have markers. The players like it more than minis and it is easy to establish straight lines from any point of a square to the target and so forth. I've uploaded the actual PP file if you want to try it out and have the software for it. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• map.zip
    315.6 KB · Views: 145

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I just wanted to add an update to demonstrate using PowerPoint for dungeons. I've attached a zip with two files.

The first, "map", has two dungeon complexes. The first is a labyrinth lair and I can't let the players see the map as a whole, so I made slides containing the four encounter areas only with monsters hidden behind identical shapes. You deleted the shapes "in front" or on top, and *poof* the monsters appear in location. :)

In "map", Slide #6 is the second complex and slide #7 is the identical player "exploration" slide. You will see the first halls splits left and right. If you place your mouse over the ends of the hall and click, the shape hiding the passages will be selected and you can delete it to reveal the hallways beneath. You can explore the entire second dungeon on slide #7 this way, revealing only what the players sight would show until the enter an encounter area.

The second file, "shrine", uses the same mechanic to allow me to walk my players through their chosen path, revealing only a little bit at a time when they enter an area. Slide #1 shows the complete dungeon and slide #2 is the exploring slide for me to use with the players.

When encounters happen, I select the six colored-circle-shapes, which are the PCs, and move them to encounter the square "monster" shapes.

At any rate, since you can decide what scale to use initially, the size of the maps you create this way can be vast indeed. I hope you get to try it out and maybe it will give you some ideas. I installed Paint.Net and tried it out, but without the ability to move shapes and represent encounters, it had less value to me.

Either way, I hope you find something that feels your need and happy hunting! :)

Attachments

• Dungeons.zip
    339.1 KB · Views: 107

Remove ads