• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generic RPGs

What generic RPGs have you tried?

• GURPS

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • Hero System

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • D6 System

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • True20

• Modern d20

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • Fudge

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Unisystem

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Savage Worlds

• Fuzion

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None

Votes: 7 8.8%

Aus_Snow

First Post
d20 Modern is an interesting choice for 'generic'.

Anyway, I've tried the majority of those, in one form or another. Some, not in a 'generic' form at all, but I guess they still count. :hmm:

Mercule

Adventurer
GURPS, Hero, Savage Worlds. And there are huge differences between them.

Hero is one of my top 2-3 systems. GURPS was among the worst games I've ever played. Savage Worlds didn't really excite me in terms of game play, but I like the flexibility and simplicity enough that it's still on my short list of systems to use.

I played the d6 Star Wars and thought it was good, but not outstanding. I don't know what, if anything, was changed to genericize it.

I've read, but not played Fuzion and Fudge. Fuzion read really, really bad and I struggled making a character I'd want to play. Reports from friends who tried it confirmed I probably wouldn't care for it.

Fudge was... odd. It still seemed like a lot of work with no real pay-off, but I don't know anyone who's actually played it.

Ginnel

Explorer
Hmm why buy a generic system when I can use one I already have and alter it :)

M&M definetly could be adjusted for any genre you cared for, played Cowboy Bebop with it and a lower powered supers game and before I moved cities we were intending to run our next planescape game in it, and possibly a pokemon game ;)

4E if I get my lazy butt round to it, I'm intending to do a Call of Cthulu style one shot, involving Mobsters, also possibly for a transformers game.

I think you can alter most rules systems to be generic enough for a genre of game you are running, it is only the style of mechanics which alters.

Wombat

First Post
I've tried dozens of systems over the years -- from this list I've tried most of them barring the D6 system. Heck, I'd put D20 and BRP in that list as well, as well as (quite probably) World of Dakrness. I've easily changed Over The Edge into a generic system as well.

The problem is that this Holy Grail of gaming is a false goal -- I find that it is much better to match a system to a setting than the other way around. In other words, I would prefer a system that maps one period and concept well rather than a generic system that supposedly covers all potential settings rather blandly and generically.

GlassJaw

Hero
I've played d20 Modern/Grim Tales, the d6 system, and I'm hoping to run Savage Worlds sometime soon.

SW is my new obsession.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I've bought the Explorer's Handbook and Solomon Kane and have been reading a lot about it on various forums. The SW community is amazing and it continually gets very high praise. I love the fact that it is so easily adaptable to a multitude of settings and is extremely easy for the GM to prep.

Arnwyn

First Post
I've tried GURPS, d6 (Star Wars), and Fuzion.

- GURPS... wasn't for me. At all.
- I found d6 Star Wars so bad as to be unplayable.

(Ironically enough?) Fuzion is our game of choice for our futuristic anime game.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've tried GURPS, HERO, True 20, Modern d20, Fuzion and I playtested one called Ace (from a SJG games designer) which never saw publication, as far as I know.

Given the history of HERO, I would also ultimately consider Mutants & Masterminds a generic game system.

Of them, HERO has become my favorite, M&M my second. True 20 and Modern D20 are both enjoyable.

Ace was good- why it wasn't published, I don't know. (Probably because SJG didn't want to produce another generic rpg- splitting the market- or an anti-compete clause in someone's contract.)

GURPS, I don't care for. What little I know of Savage Worlds holds no attraction for me, even though its derived from the brilliant Deadlands game. Fuzion is one I really dislike, and for a while, it was the only system in which "HERO" products were available. Dark days for me, indeed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads