D&D 5E Gentle Repose Spotted in the Wild

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I can understand not having Revivify prepared if you don't have the diamonds for it, but it is an odd choice to have Gentle Repose prepared. Given the prospect of facing these type of undead, it was the smart choice. Might not be a bad idea to try and pick it up in my wizard's spellbook.
The player mentioned in Discord this morning that he always has it prepared because it means he doesn't have to worry about holding back a 3rd-level slot for revivify. It paid off!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
My paladin used it recently as he had it prepared but the party didn’t have diamonds for the cleric to cast revivify; we were able to then get the diamonds in time to save the character.

jgsugden

Legend
It makes sense for:

• Level 3 and 4 full spellcaster PCs that know someone that can revivify/raise dead.
  • Level 5 to 8 paladins - you have few slots, and use them mostly for smites, so it isn't a bad idea to prepare a few of those 'just in case' spells that full spellcasters usually can't. This is a great backup spell.
  • Wizards - This actually makes th cut for me when we only have 1 spellcaster healer. I don't always prepare it, but if I feel like our 1 full caster healer is in jeopardy, I'll prepare it. However, I'll also prefer to buy a scroll of revivify for a paladin, artificer, Circle of Wildfire druid, Celestial pact warlock, etc.... than spend a prepared slot on it. It is worth having in a wizard's spellbook, though.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
One of my current parties uses it frequently. The rationale would make Eric’s grandmother faint, so I won’t be mentioning why, but it’s a very common cast.

Remove ads