Gestalt Kobold Werebear - Help with Class Choices

GhostBear

Explorer
Hello,

I'm looking for some help in selecting a pair of classes for a gestalt D&D 3.5 game. For now there's only 2 players. The other guy is playing a Rogue/Sorcerer combination (that is all he plays - ever) which forces me into the unfortunate dual role of front line meat grinder AND heal bitch. :p

I'll be playing a kobold infected lycanthrope. Specifically, a werebear - however I'll be a black bear instead of a grizzly. The +16 to strength seemed very powerful for a +2 ECL. A werewolf might also work if it seems more advantageous mechanically - the storyline could be tweaked easily.

As far as rules go, we'll be playing using the core rulebooks and the SRD only.
Race and lycanthropy are non-negotiable.

The benefits here are damage reduction in were-form, buff to various stats (Strength for werebear, Dex for werewolf), +2 Wisdom, +2 natural armor, and access to animal forms which could be handy for hiding, spying, tracking, etc.

We are going to be throwing out the forced alignment change rules for were-critters from the SRD. Not only do they just not make much sense, but the SRD itself kind of throws them out the window anyway: "This is a reflection of how these animals are perceived, not any innate quality of the animal itself, so the alignment of the animal form can be arbitrarily assigned."

1. Monk - Changing shape between kobold (small) and werebear (medium - black bear, not grizzly) is going to cause all kinds of problems with weapon and armor sizes, plus the -4 strength for being a kobold would hinder being able to carry much in the first place. The prudent choice seems to forgo them entirely.

The +2 Wisdom for being a lycanthrope seems to play nicely into this class as a whole. Combined with the +2 natural armor, it's a +3 to AC on top of what I would normally have a Monk. Not bad.

In hybrid/animal form, a werewolf would add a +4 to dex, for an extra +2 to AC but this seems to overshadow the greater strength bonus of the werebear - especially since kobolds already have a strength disadvantage.

2. Druid - This provides better flavor than Cleric, and works better story-wise (although is not immutable) while providing healing capabilities. At later levels it helps mitigate any issues related to a failed lycanthropy change shape check.

The +2 Wisdom is helpful here as well as the bear empathy for my (of course) bear animal companion when I reach the appropriate level.

---

A Barbarian also seemed like a decent choice in place of Monk, although the Monk benefits from AC bonuses to wisdom and unarmed combat. Cleric could be worked into play instead of Druid.

I'd really appreciate some input (including "wtf, what the hell kind of game is this?! Kobold lycanthropes?!", har har). I'm not looking to create an uber munchkin build with the gestalt class combinations but I do want to be effective in the role I need to fill (meat grinder / heal bitch).

"Oh look, it's a kobold... Damn runts, nothing but trouble, let's go kill it... OH GOD, RUN!"

Sekhmet

First Post
The massive strength boost the Werebear gets, as well as the size increase offered by changing into dire bear form makes Flurry Of Blows more powerful, so that is good.

Sorry_Charry

First Post
I'd stay away from a spellcasting class.

Lycanthropes lose the ability to cast while in animal/hybrid form, so that stinks. I don't have the books right in front of me, but the Dragon Shaman class has some healing abilities that aren't spells (it's in the PHB II... not sure if that is included under your DMs core only criteria).

Also, the dragon shaman class is a natural fit for a kobold.

Whatever class you decide to go with, I'd make sure that it is useful in any of your forms (because there is the chance that you will not be able to turn back until dawn).

Also, you'll need to account for the racial hitdice of whatever animal you select (2 for wolf, 3 for black bear), that goes on top of the +2 LA for being an afflicted lycanthrope. So you may have less character levels to assign to a class than you'd hoped.

What level are you starting this character at?

Remove ads