D&D 2E Gestalt, the Half Elf, 2E, and You.

gamecat

Explorer
Its a generally accepted concept: Half Elves suck. In 2E, 1/2 elves had the coolness of the triple multiclass.

In the broken madness of gestalt dungeons and dragons, would allowing half elves and half elves alone triple gestalt classes (advancing as a fighter, wizard, and rogue in emulation of the classic fighter/mage/thief) be worth the hit to balance for flavor?

I dunno. Wierd mood.

Here's where you come in.

starwed

First Post
Maybe it would work with an LA applied to the whole concept. Because either you care about balance, or you don't. But either way a triple gestalt just flat out isn't balanced. ^_^

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I seem to recall elves being capable of fighter/magic-user/thief. I don't think three classes was unique to the half-elf.

IMC, I use a multiclassing rule similar to gestalt and AD&D. But that has nothing to do with an advantage for half-elves. I give half-elves an extra skill point (which, in my skill system translates to roughly 1/2 skill point per level in 3e). Before I started using my new skill system, I gave half-elves 2 bonus skill points at 1st level and 1 bonus skill point every odd level thereafter.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Perhaps you suggest this particular triple gestalt for half elves and normal (double) gestalt for everyone else? That could work, although it would be rather powerful.

Will

First Post
A triple gestalt is weird... many of the choices actually wouldn't be terribly more powerful than a regular gestalt. But there are exceptions (like a caster-caster-martial character... druid-barbarian-sorcerer? Ow.).

glass

(he, him)
I really like the idea, but I certainly think there might be balance issues. Maybe if we complete the homage-to-previous-editions and only have a specific list of allowed combinations, but even then.

What if the the third class had to be Warrior or Expert?

glass.

Remove ads