D&D 5E Getting Rid of Variable Weapon Damage- An Immodest Proposal

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What if we just used broad weapon “styles” that come in simple and martial varieties. Single weapons are d6 simple or d8 martial and can be paired with a shield or open hand. Light weapons are d4 simple or d6 martial and can be dual-wielded. Heavy weapons are d10 simple or d12 martial and require two hands. Polearms are d8 simple or d10 martial, require two hands, and have increased reach.

Your class determines which “styles” you can use martial. For example, maybe fighters and barbarians can use martial weapons of any style. Paladins can use martial single, heavy, or polearm weapons, but only simple light weapons. Rangers can use martial single, light, or polearm weapons, but only simple heavy weapons. Rogues can use martial single or light weapons but only simple heavy and polearm weapons. Clerics and druids can only use martial single weapons or simple weapons of any other type. Wizards and sorcerers can only use simple weapons.
You could expand on this for ranged weapons as well. Bows are d6 simple, d8 martial. Crossbows are d8 simple, d10 martial and can only be fired once per turn (as per the loading property). Thrown weapons are d4 simple, d6 martial and can be used in melee. Fighters and rangers can use martial ranged weapons of all styles. Paladins can use martial crossbows and thrown weapons or simple bows. Barbarians can use martial bows and thrown weapons or simple crossbows. Clerics can use martial crossbows or simple bows or thrown weapons. Druids and rogues can use martial thrown weapons or simple bows or crossbows. Wizards and sorcerers can only use simple weapons.

EDIT: On second thought, I might wrap throwability into light melee weapons and call the two remaining ranged weapon categories something like “hand-powered” and “mechanical,” just to expand the descriptive range. A bow is a bow, but a hand-powered ranged weapon could be a sling, an atlatl, a slingshot, a sling staff, etc. Similarly, a mechanical ranged weapon could expand beyond crossbow to a gun, or some kind of kooky mini-trebuchet, or whatever.

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
PLEASE NOTE- Static weapon damage means you roll the same die, like a d6, for all weapons. It doesn't mean that you do a standard amount of damage with no rolls.
i could make an argument for everyone to get lower hit points and each hit deals 1..but lets go with your ideas
A. Do you prefer variable weapon damage or static weapon damage?
B. Would we be so uncaring about cutting trees down if they could scream? Maybe, if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason?
C. Would you like a system that made variable weapon damage dependent on the wielder, and not the weapon?
I could go either ay with variable or static.. but if we continue with Variable I would prefer wilder matter.

in e you had weapon master/high mastery/grand mastery that gave figters the ability to upte damage die by 1

MGibster

Legend
So, maybe I should make this more clear.

By static damage, I don't mean that you are taking the average damage instead of rolling. You're still rolling.

I only mean that all weapons roll the same die. I'll edit that to make it more clear in the OP.
I could live with it much in the same way that I can live with unsweet tea and fried chicken that isn’t spicy.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I could live with it much in the same way that I can live with unsweet tea and fried chicken that isn’t spicy.

So what you're saying is, "I love me the diabetes, the heartburn, and the sugarfoot."

M7n0cB.gif

How much was chainmail/OD&D influenced by the availability of dice? My impression was that getting six sided dice was relatively easy compared to other kinds. But now that's less of a problem.

HammerMan

Legend
How much was chainmail/OD&D influenced by the availability of dice? My impression was that getting six sided dice was relatively easy compared to other kinds. But now that's less of a problem.
I'm sure that is part of it.

again in war games most units can be hit 1 time (no damage roll kinda like 4e minions) some have multi 'hit points' and can take2 or 3 hits... some heroic unites a roll and take 1d6 hits...

there is also a concept of saving throws to negate inwar games.

D&D grew out of wargame roots.

They explicitly are.

"All weapon attacks by characters (PC or NPC) will do 1-6 (1d6) points of damage, adjusted by Strength and magical bonuses, if applicable. If the Variable Weapon Damage system (hereafter) is used..." B/X, B25, Damage, Amount of Damage.

The Variable Weapon Damage chart doesn't have "(optional)" listed next to it. But even a bad reading of the rules shows that it's explicitly optional.
I see that now. Thanks for the clarification.

Chainmail probably used D6s because that's what the wargames around it were using. At the time, non-D6 polyhedrals were pretty uncommon, and more of a teaching aid than something regularly used in wargames.

My understanding (I think from a Jon Peterson book, possibly from comments by some of the early crew) to start using all these new-fangled other dice was something of a 'these are neat, we should find a use for them' moment.

Remove ads