Level Up (A5E) Getting Started With Level Up

Reynard

Legend
I decided on a whim to buy all 3 core Level Up books as a birthday gift to myself, and I wanted to talk a little bit about the best way to engage the game.

That may sound a little strange but hear me out: for a brand new system, engaging is pretty straight forward -- just read the book(s). However, in my experience, new editions and/or variants are often harder to engage that way because you aren't coming in fresh. You have experiences and knowledge and you are looking for differences and divergences.

So, what I am asking is, given that Level Up is designed to be a "deeper" 5E, what is the easiest and best way to dive in. Does it make sense to "convert" an existing 5E adventure and/or set of PCs to Level Up to get a sense of the differences? Does it make sense to build an adventure for Level Up independent of some existing 5E thing? Is making a bunch of characters a worthwhile path (even though I mostly GM and don't even know all the PC rules for regular old 5E)?

Or am i wrong and I should just read all 3 books?

Faolyn

(she/her)
There's very little conversion that's really necessary. The biggest thing is the journey activities, and unless you're making your own regions, the existing ones are pretty much drag-and-drop.

TheHand

Adventurer
If you have their official introductory adventure, Memories of Holdenshire you can also see how they constructed a game. Each chapter actually introduces one of their Advanced-5e concepts.

Personally I've been treating Advanced 5e as a giant Toolbox to add into existing D&D games. One of the campaigns I run is mostly vanilla 5e but I've been sneaking in Levelup content like their monster builds and Journeys. My other campaign is using many of the Levelup Features (Classes, Heritages/Cultures/Backgrounds, Maneuvers), but not all (for instance, we're not using the expanded weapon/armor rules... too granular for my players' tastes).

But as the posters said above, really there's not much 'conversion' to do to run a vanilla 5e adventure. I'd say the biggest changes would be if you want to add Journeys or use Level-up monster builds.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd say the biggest changes would be if you want to add Journeys or use Level-up monster builds.
If I wanted to create a 5E adventure and use LU monsters in an existing 5E game, are they compatible? Are they too strong for O5E PCs, would I need to switch to LU PCs?

TheHand

Adventurer
If I wanted to create a 5E adventure and use LU monsters in an existing 5E game, are they compatible? Are they too strong for O5E PCs, would I need to switch to LU PCs?
I think they're pretty compatible, and in the cases where the Level Up monsters are stronger the challenge rating is usually a little higher than its O5e counterpart. I haven't found that they're stronger, only that they tend to have more options on their turn.

It's kind of the same idea with the Fighter class in O5e, where the Champion has the very straight-forward "I attack" options that improve with levels, and the Battlemaster has its expertise dice and maneuvers, but in some theoretical sense they're reasonably on par.

R_J_K75

Legend
I think they're pretty compatible, and in the cases where the Level Up monsters are stronger the challenge rating is usually a little higher than its O5e counterpart. I haven't found that they're stronger, only that they tend to have more options on their turn.

It's kind of the same idea with the Fighter class in O5e, where the Champion has the very straight-forward "I attack" options that improve with levels, and the Battlemaster has its expertise dice and maneuvers, but in some theoretical sense they're reasonably on par.
Kind of what I thought from the little I followed of the playtest/previews. I didnt back the KS but just seemed like it was more advanced and more options than Im interested in but Im thinking of buying the MM on pdf.

I've used the LU in a 5E adventure and they work fine. Some (shadows, I'm looking at you) are actually less powerful than the O5E version.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They’re fully compatible. They are adjusted to make them as powerful as their CR says they are with CR math that works, so balance-wise they should work even better than O5E sources. At least that was the intention!

Larnievc

Hero
It’s not so much that they are stronger than their CR might indicate more than their CR is more dependable as a measure of danger and they have a few more interesting options than MM mobs. But any third party monster book will do that for you. I try to avoid MM mobs for that reason.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases