Giant tabanid (horsefly)

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok tweaking the description
-----------------------------------------
The giant tabanid (colloquially known as the giant horsefly) is a flying insect about the size of a pony that has been domesticated and used by the duergar as a mount. Its origins are unknown - whether it was somehow bred or created by some permanent size-altering magic.

It is a stocky well-built fly, generally dark grey or black with large multifaceted green eyes. They are surprisingly agile and adept flyers, despite their size. Like their tiny ancestors, they live in marshes and swamps, both above ground and underground.

Cleon

Legend
ok sold. Included these two. Anything else to tweak or can the stats be locked in...(before a description review..)

The Armor Class should either be 13 or have a (qualifier) of some kind after the 14 such as 14 (natural armor), since the DEX bonus only accounts for 3 points of AC.

The Challenge is too low at 1/4. According to the CR Calculator it's about Challenge 1/2 with AC 13 and the current actions.

The Blood drain has a stray stirge in it:

Blood Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, and the giant tabanid attaches to the target. While attached, it doesn't attack. Instead, at the start of each of the giant tabanid's turns, the target loses 6 (1d6 + 3) hit points due to blood loss.​
 The giant tabanid can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. It does so after it drains 10 hit points of blood from the target or the target dies. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the stirge.​

I think the above could do with some tweaking. For a start, a giant horsefly is a good deal bigger than a stirge so would presumably need more blood to satisfy its thirst. Stirges may be bloodbags but they're the size of a largish bird like a raven, while the tabanid is as big as a horse. Maybe 20, 30 or even 40 hit points?

The damage seems a bit piddly too. It's only a point higher than a stirge.

Also, maybe have some kind of check to remove the tabanid rather than it automatically succeeding?

Perhaps:

Blood Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage, and the giant tabanid attaches to the target. While attached, it doesn't attack. Instead, at the start of each of the giant tabanid's turns, the target loses 10 (2d6 + 3) hit points due to blood loss.​
 The giant tabanid can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. It does so after it drains 30 hit points of blood from the target or the target dies. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the giant tabanid by succeeding on a DC 13 Strength check.​

That'd make it Challenge 1 though.

If you want to keep it at CR 1/4 you need to make it more fragile and less lethal by reducing the number of HD and STR. According to the CR Calculator an AC 13, HP 22 (3d10+6), STR 15 (+2) giant tabanid that does 5 (1d6 + 2) with Blood Drain would be Challenge 1/4.

I'm thinking that its ability to use Dodging Flight should be prevented or diminished if it's got a rider or is using Blood Drain.

I've just noticed that Dodging Flight and Evasive Flight should use periods rather than colons.

How's this:

Evasive Flight. A giant tabanid gains advantage on Dexterity saving throws when flying and attackers have disadvantage on attack rolls against it.​
If the giant tabanid is mounted, it must make a DC 12 STR check to use evasive flight each time it is attacked.​
Reactions
Dodging Flight. If a creature of at least Small size attempts a melee attack against a giant tabanid, or the fly is targeted by ranged weapon of similar size such as a giant-hurled boulder, the giant tabanid can try to dodge out of the way as a reaction. The giant tabanid makes a Dexterity saving throw with advantage (it loses this advantage when mounted or using Blood Drain). If the saving throw beats the attack roll or DC of the attack the giant tabanid takes no damage and flies up to 30 feet.​
 If a giant tabanid is using Blood Drain and successfully uses Dodging Flight it automatically detaches itself from its victim before flying away.​

I wondered about restricting the Evasive Flight's disadvantage on attack rolls to ranged attacks, but I'm not sure about that.

Cleon

Legend
Ok tweaking the description
-----------------------------------------
The giant tabanid (colloquially known as the giant horsefly) is a flying insect about the size of a pony that has been domesticated and used by the duergar as a mount. Its origins are unknown - whether it was somehow bred or created by some permanent size-altering magic.

It is a stocky well-built fly, generally dark grey or black with large multifaceted green eyes. They are surprisingly agile and adept flyers, despite their size. Like their tiny ancestors, they live in marshes and swamps, both above ground and underground.

That looks alright to me.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay, published here crap - missed prevous post

Regarding CR - I'd rather it was internally consistent and coherent than shoehorning to a specific CR. So happy to leave at CR1.

I'd prefer to keep including melee attacks for disadvantage with evasive fight...reminds me of (unsuccessfully) trying to swat flies, which is the image I want to promote here.

Ok published here - upped the vomit damage slightly so was not quite s trivial.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Okay, published here crap - missed prevous post

Regarding CR - I'd rather it was internally consistent and coherent than shoehorning to a specific CR. So happy to leave at CR1.

I'd prefer to keep including melee attacks for disadvantage with evasive fight...reminds me of (unsuccessfully) trying to swat flies, which is the image I want to promote here.

Ok published here - upped the vomit damage slightly so was not quite s trivial.

That looks fine apart apart from a couple of few errors I've only just noticed.

The "darkvision 60" in Senses is missing a "ft." after the number.

I've just realized its Hit Points should say 4d10 + 8 not +12. The total HP of 30 is correct though.

Also noticed I've missed out an "a" from Dodging Flight: "targeted by a ranged weapon" is more grammatically correct.

I'm also thinking I should put a comma in it "If the saving throw beats the attack roll or DC of the attack, the giant tabanid takes no damage and flies up to 30 feet."

I'll post an Enworld version of the Tabanid incorporating the above fixes.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Tabanid, Giant (Giant Horsefly)
Large beast, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (4d10 + 8)
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft.

STR​
DEX​
CON​
INT​
WIS​
CHA​
16 (+3)​
16 (+3)​
15 (+2)​
2 (–4)​
10 (+0)​
3 (–6)​

Saving Throws DEX +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages
Challenge 1 (200 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Evasive Flight. A giant tabanid gains advantage on Dexterity saving throws when flying and attackers have disadvantage on attack rolls against it.
 If the giant tabanid is mounted, it must make a DC 12 STR check to use evasive flight each time it is attacked.

Keen Sight. The giant tabanid has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Actions

Blood Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage, and the giant tabanid attaches to the target. While attached, it doesn't attack. Instead, at the start of each of the giant tabanid's turns, the target loses 10 (2d6 + 3) hit points due to blood loss.
 The giant tabanid can detach itself by spending 5 feet of its movement. It does so after it drains 30 hit points of blood from the target or the target dies. A creature, including the target, can use its action to detach the giant tabanid by succeeding on a DC 13 Strength check.

Vomit. Ranged Weapon Attack. +5 to hit, range 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d10 + 1) acid damage.

Reactions

Dodging Flight. If a creature of at least Small size attempts a melee attack against a giant tabanid, or the fly is targeted by a ranged weapon of similar size such as a giant-hurled boulder, the giant tabanid can try to dodge out of the way as a reaction. The giant tabanid makes a Dexterity saving throw with advantage (it loses this advantage when mounted or using Blood Drain). If the saving throw beats the attack roll or DC of the attack the giant tabanid takes no damage and flies up to 30 feet.
 If a giant tabanid is using Blood Drain and successfully uses Dodging Flight, it automatically detaches itself from its victim before flying away.

Description

(Originally appeared in Monster Manual II (1983) by Gary Gygax.)

Last edited:

Remove ads