Giantlands, reviewed by David Flor on Twitter.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Great review. Ernie's posts on FB look like English is a second language as well, just like the game. Crazy as his dad was GG, did Ernie even ever read books? Hard no, especially with the absurd price.

TBH I thought all this time there was no game and they were stealing money, but I guess this game is a close 2nd.

The problem with rolling stats, especially with that much range variance, is you'll either be tossing a lot of characters in the trash and thus character creation is just a dice-rolling exercise, or you'll be lying.

If you are rolling for stats then the new Gamma World has the right idea:
1) roll your stats
2) assign either a 16 and 18 to two stats or 20 to one stat

Basically that means you either replace one or two stats with a good number.

Mezuka

Hero
There are very simple and effective ways of rolling for d100 stat. For example, for each stat roll 2d10 then add 50% the result. That would have given a range of 52% to 70% with most rolls around 61%. After that, you can add training bonuses for skills the player selects.

Last edited:

Waller

Legend
Great review. Ernie's posts on FB look like English is a second language as well, just like the game. Crazy as his dad was GG, did Ernie even ever read books? Hard no, especially with the absurd price.

TBH I thought all this time there was no game and they were stealing money, but I guess this game is a close 2nd.
Ernie Gygax has nothing to do with Giantlands. This is Stephen Dinehart and Jim Ward. DIfferent company.

darjr

I crit!
Ernie Gygax has nothing to do with Giantlands. This is Stephen Dinehart and Jim Ward. DIfferent company.
46163A88-B343-4159-B929-A4EA04354162.jpeg

He's listed as the Creative Advisor and has a forward in book two.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Which means they invited him to play the prototypes so they could leverage his name. Pretty par for the course.
No idea really, probably, but he is involved.

I mean I think most people who put their name on a box and write a forward and take a title of "Creative Advisor" would be somewhat responsible for the content of the game.

But "Nothing to do with Giantlands" isn't an option.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Unless you mean nothing to do with it ANYMORE.
Originally the comment was talking about Ernie's writing style being similar to the text of Giantlands. But my understanding is that he didn't have anything to do with the writing of GL, which is what the other commentor might have meant.

Remove ads