Giantlands, reviewed by David Flor on Twitter.

pantsorama

Explorer
And because irony knows no bounds, Dinehart is pushing a "how to write rpgs" promo. Judging by the reviews of Giantlands, I don't think folks should really be listening to Steve's advice.

View attachment 149977
Why is the Meth addict trading an encephalitic child for groceries with the Hipster Plague Doctor? And what in the Sam Hill does that have to do with gaming?

Last edited:

General_Tangent

Adventurer
That thread includes a link to a press release from Wonderfilled indicating that they are planning to open a theme park based around Giantlands - an "immersive gaming destination".

This seems ... ambitious? let's say ambitious.

I'll admit to knowing nothing about the climate of Wisconsin, is it warm enough to sustain a theme park?

I know that Walt Disney selected Florida as it had the correct conditions to support nearly year round opening.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'll admit to knowing nothing about the climate of Wisconsin, is it warm enough to sustain a theme park?

I know that Walt Disney selected Florida as it had the correct conditions to support nearly year round opening.

Six Flags Great America is just a bit south of the Wisconsin border (between Chicago and there) and does fine. Gurnee IL looks to be about 2 degrees warmer than Lake Geneva WI, a degree colder than Milwaukee, and about the same as Madison.

Great America gets about 2.5 million visitors per year, so a bit bigger than Six Flags over Georgia or Carrowinds in Charlotte, or Six Flags Over Texas, and a bit smaller than Kings Island in Ohio or Six Flags Magic Mountain in LA. I imagine the big competition for a park in Wisconsin would be that or the Wisconsin Dells (like a mini-Pigeon Forge of the North?) which gets 4 million visiors per year. The Dells are about an hour northwest of Madison on I-90.

Last edited:

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Six Flags Great America is just a bit south of the Wisconsin border (between Chicago and there) and does fine. Gurnee IL looks to be about 2 degrees warmer than Lake Geneva WI, a degree colder than Milwaukee, and about the same as Madison.

Great America gets about 2.5 million visitors per year, so a bit bigger than Six Flags over Georgia or Carrowinds in Charlotte, or Six Flags Over Texas, and a bit smaller than Kings Island in Ohio or Six Flags Magic Mountain in LA. I imagine the big competition for a park in Wisconsin would be that or the Wisconsin Dells (like a mini-Pigeon Forge of the North?) which gets 4 million visiors per year. The Dells are about an hour northwest of Madison on I-90.

Thanks for that useful information. It's all well and good reading about a place but I prefer to get the information from people as you can't beat a bit of local knowledge.

I did detect a touch of whimsy about the state as I discovered that at one point there was a marketing slogan imploring people to come and sniff our dairy air :)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for that useful information. It's all well and good reading about a place but I prefer to get the information from people as you can't beat a bit of local knowledge.

I did detect a touch of whimsy about the state as I discovered that at one point there was a marketing slogan imploring people to come and sniff our dairy air :)

Did our fifth anniversary at Great America a billion years ago. Hit every roller coaster twice - once in the front once a bit farther back. (I think the Bulls were playing in the playoffs in their Jordan era the days we were there and park wasn't near full).

Only been to the dells once I think, and not as a young kid. Usually vacation a few hours north of there.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Note: Six Flags Great America (Chicago-land) is not open year-round. It opens this year on April 20th through September 2nd.

I can't imagine Giantland being a year-round theme park up in the near-Great White North.

Note: Six Flags Great America (Chicago-land) is not open year-round. It opens this year on April 20th through September 2nd.

I can't imagine Giantland being a year-round theme park up in the near-Great White North.

Great America used to be open for Halloween (aka Fright Fest), but I haven't lived in that area for awhile to know if they still do it. In any case, there are theme parks in Quebec, Minnesota, and all sorts of other, colder places. And it's not like parks in areas like Texas don't have the opposite problem of high heat concerns.

There are lots of legitimate reasons to critique the idea of a Giantlands park, starting with the fact that no one outside of the creators really seems to care about the IP. Climate in Madison, WI is ridiculously far down the list of concerns.

Climate in Madison, WI is ridiculously far down the list of concerns.
One would think that, but Dinehart has somehow managed to make a vision for it which makes that a core reason why it will be unmanageable - I mean Mayan architecture is pretty cool and all that, but I don't think this would be sustainable or be able to be maintained in places where there's substantial snowfall.

1709952910128.png

Remove ads