• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Globes of invulnerability

Voadam

Legend
offensive MGI

Since it is an immobile 10' radius sphere you can cast it near your front lines of combat in a narrow corridor and then back away from it and use that as a no minor magic area for your non buffed warriors to attack from.

The srd text says:

An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds the character and excludes all spell effects of up to 3rd level. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the minor globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe. This includes spell-like abilities and spells or spell-like effects from devices. However, any type of spell can be cast through or out of the magical globe. Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe. The globe can be brought down by a targeted dispel magic spell, but not by an area dispel magic. The character can leave and return to the globe without
penalty.

It says it excludes "all" spell effects so that includes the caster's and ongoing ones.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Uller said:
Also...the spell has a Range of 10ft and an Area of "10-ft.-radius spherical emanation, centered on the character". Isn't this a contradiction? If it is automatically centered on the character, shouldn't it be Range: 0ft?

It's an emanation, meaning that it's recentered constantly. "Range: 10 feet" means that it can affect things up to 10 feet away. See the PH page 149.

Uller

Adventurer
CRGreathouse said:

It's an emanation, meaning that it's recentered constantly. "Range: 10 feet" means that it can affect things up to 10 feet away. See the PH page 149.

I would think that Range referes to the distance from the caster the spell can be centered or the effect can exist...not the "range" of the emanation...in fact, from the SRD:

Range

A spell's range indicates how far from the character it can reach, as defined on the Range line of the spell description. A spell's range is the maximum distance from the character that the spell's effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which the character can designate the spell's point of origin. If any portion of the spell's area would extend beyond the range, that area is wasted.

By this definition, if MGI has a "Range" of 10', it cannot exist if the caster moves more than 10' from it(and therefore cannot exit the globe without it ceasing to exist). And this obviously is a contradiction. I would say, judging from the description of the spell(that it begins centered on the caster, but the caster can move away from it). A Range of "Unlimited" or "N/A" would be more appropriate.

Also, Silence is an emanation, it has a sensible range AND a radius that makes sense:
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 15-ft.-radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in space

Anyway...just seems like a typo to me...

Xarlen

First Post
Not looking at the list, is it able to be cast on a spot, and then the spellcaster moving out to hide behind it? Or does it immediately center on the caster, and thus follows him around?

Voadam

Legend
I disagree with CRG

I believe the globe starts centered on the caster but is then immobile.

from the srd:

"Emanation: Some spells, such as silence, have an area like a burst except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell."

and from the srd description of MGI:

"Area: 10-ft.-radius spherical emanation, centered on the character"

"An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds the character and excludes all spell effects . . ."

It seems odd that an immobile spell would move with the caster.

I also don't think the spell will wink out if the caster moves out of the 10' range.

That happens in flaming sphere but there it is specifically stated as a characteristic of the spell in the spell description. I don't think that would happen with general spells with durations and ranges such as MGI and wall of fire, for instance.

I would think casting and moving out would be fine. However, hiding behind it does not give many bonuses since spells can be cast through it.

Remove ads