• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM Authority (Edited For Clarity, Post #148)

Who would you side with?

• The Player

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • The GM

Votes: 58 85.3%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Heavily modify? Maybe add two skills, set goals for members of specific Houses to achieve to earn XP, and set up a method of accounting of actions. I've got a deeply political metaplot going on in my current campaign (Session #28 this week), with less than that. Players can think for themselves; you don't need a dice roll for everything.

Whereas Elf boy either has the too-common Legolas fixation, or he knows nothing about GoT, or didn't like the books. In short, not someone you want in a thinking player's campaign. He needs to find a group that suits his expectations. Hammering a square peg into a round hole is a recipe for failure.

More than simple modify.
Full on class builds or purchasing of books.

Most adventurer fantasy RPGs don't even have the capability to run the noncombatant all skills character most of the female nobles and some male nobles in the book series.

More than simple modify.
Full on class builds or purchasing of books.

Most adventurer fantasy RPGs don't even have the capability to run the noncombatant all skills character most of the female nobles and some male nobles in the book series.

Don't be silly. I'm doing it with 5e right now. No playbooks, no 'full-on class builds' to depict social issues. Here's all the house rules: Dark Lands | Obsidian Portal

No special effort for diplomacy, just players who can visualize social interaction. You don't need a dice roll for everything.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What difference would class make? If the PC can speak, has appropriate languages skills, and a suitable background, it's set. Like I said, you don't need dice for everything; players can role-play through social interactions.

PCs should be more than just numbers on a character sheet.

Because I'm playing the game system? Because we didn't decide to be freeform roleplaying?

"I know you just bought $100 of books but we aren't using any of them to play System X. It'll be fine. Trust me. So you in".

Nah boss.

Don't be silly. I'm doing it with 5e right now. No playbooks, no 'full-on class builds' to depict social issues. Here's all the house rules: Dark Lands | Obsidian Portal

No special effort for diplomacy, just players who can visualize social interaction. You don't need a dice roll for everything.
This was why the shift the 3E was a little jarring for me with social skills. I was always much more a fan of the Etiquette NWP which functioned as a knowledge and didn’t replace or get in the way of RP. I think this is just one of those divides in the hobby. Neither is right or wrong but for me, I much prefer allowing the players to speak as their characters and having what is said shape things like NPC reactions (obviously factors like reputation, power, CHR, can factor in). I simply have more fun playing the game this way

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This was why the shift the 3E was a little jarring for me with social skills. I was always much more a fan of the Etiquette NWP which functioned as a knowledge and didn’t replace or get in the way of RP. I think this is just one of those divides in the hobby. Neither is right or wrong but for me, I much prefer allowing the players to speak as their characters and having what is said shape things like NPC reactions (obviously factors like reputation, power, CHR, can factor in). I simply have more fun playing the game this way
For me it was when they started asking me to roll dice rather than display by martial prowess in a fight to the death with the GM. Dice! Who needs dice?

For me it was when they started asking me to roll dice rather than display by martial prowess in a fight to the death with the GM. Dice! Who needs dice?
Lol. You are more old school than I sir. Seriously I do understand this perspective. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to roll dice for social skills, and I can see that that has become the norm (which is why in even my own games, there are social skills----even if I've devised guidelines to help them fit my style). But just for me, when I started the way we handled the social aspects of the game was free form RP and that just always worked best for me. It isn't for everyone, I just really like how this feels in play more. As social skill rolls became more the norm (I remember not being fond of them in Vampire for example and other RPGs that used them prior to 3E), it just felt like what I said as a character in the game, didn't matter as much. I also like generally rules being lighter on this side of the game so that the system fades into the background and RP can be more the focus. I am not as into the fun of the system itself as I am into the fun of the RP. Different strokes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads