GMF Project thinktank

Catavarie

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
I still say that one of the best things we could do to increase participation is to work on our own campaign setting. Unfortunately, ever time I try to start one, the project dies on us. If I could actually get people to participate, I think it'd be a great project, and with so many people working on it we could get a lot done. We'd have to be efficient though, considering what happened the previous two times.

While surfing the net today I had a thought what about a Transformers RPG? There are several homebrewed versions on the net but none of them seem to work well although they each have certain good points. Of course in order to do anything widespread with it once complete we'd have to obtain licensing from Hasbro (or who ever owns the license now). If not transformers there are dozens of other old school cartoons and TV shows that my generation (yes I realize I'm older than most here) still love to this day that would be great backdrop for RPGs. Just a thought.

Also someone had mentioned creating our own system I have done this twice now and its not as easy as one may think. I created a Modified D6 system about 9 years ago and lost it when my computer at the time crashed and a Modified D10 System I was working on was lost last year when my Laptop decided to stop working...needless to say I'm now a back up fiend. I could easily reconstruct the "meat" of both systems in a relatively short time the problem is circumstance rulings. How do you decide what happens in any one of hundreds of possible situations? That is what bogs game creators down. Although with thousands of hours of Game Testing with different groups of players one can eventually encounter most all of these situations.

As for a GMF Campaign Setting:

We could simply use one of our member's Homebrew as a base and then flesh it out more fully and create a truly magnificent Universe. And then the individual campaigns could each be written for our setting.

P.S. I'll work on reconstructing both my D6 and D10 rule sets (also having thoughts of a diceless system using perhaps card instead) and will hopefully be able to soon get my Homebrew up in the appropriate thread if anyone else is curious or would like to input their thoughts on such things.

P.S.S. I'll bring the GMF back from dead myself with all these posts if I have too. :p

I do think that making a rules system would probably we a fair bit easier, since there'd be more than just the one person working on it.

But as I've said before, I think that the idea of having specific goals for ourselves, rather than just a "post when you feel like it" attitude, will be vital to maintaining a lively amount of interest. If people feel no obligation to post, then they won't.

Catavarie

First Post
I do think that making a rules system would probably we a fair bit easier, since there'd be more than just the one person working on it.

But as I've said before, I think that the idea of having specific goals for ourselves, rather than just a "post when you feel like it" attitude, will be vital to maintaining a lively amount of interest. If people feel no obligation to post, then they won't.

You also don't want to make people feel like they have to post too much or else they may become turned off at the idea of trying to accomplish anything.

Catavarie said:
You also don't want to make people feel like they have to post too much or else they may become turned off at the idea of trying to accomplish anything.
Yeah, we'll definately have to strike a balance there. But in the old versions of the GMF, theres always been the problem that people don't feel the need to post. I'd like to make the new Foundation a place where people actually feel like they're part of accomplishing something, rather than just dropping in.

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Yeah, we'll definately have to strike a balance there. But in the old versions of the GMF, theres always been the problem that people don't feel the need to post. I'd like to make the new Foundation a place where people actually feel like they're part of accomplishing something, rather than just dropping in.

QFT

An idea towards our own world: Usually it's best to start off with the mythology of the World's creation, gives you a basis and justification for certain things.

Just my $0.02

Catavarie

First Post
ChaosEvoker said:
QFT

An idea towards our own world: Usually it's best to start off with the mythology of the World's creation, gives you a basis and justification for certain things.

Just my $0.02

I was actually contiplating a world based around 2 feuding pantheons just last week, one pantheon based on Greek Gods, and the other based on Scandinavian Mythology where the two sides decided that inorder to truely determine which pantheon was superior they jointly created a world to see who ended up with more followers, except that both sides have a tendency of cheating and revealing themselves and their power to the mortals on a far too regular basis such that people fear for their lives daily from a god of who they don't worship or follow.

If nothing else would provide lots of opportunity for interaction between PCs and deities.

Nyaricus

First Post
Catavarie said:
I was actually contiplating a world based around 2 feuding pantheons just last week, one pantheon based on Greek Gods, and the other based on Scandinavian Mythology where the two sides decided that inorder to truely determine which pantheon was superior they jointly created a world to see who ended up with more followers, except that both sides have a tendency of cheating and revealing themselves and their power to the mortals on a far too regular basis such that people fear for their lives daily from a god of who they don't worship or follow.

If nothing else would provide lots of opportunity for interaction between PCs and deities.

I.... I couldn't help it!
[sblock]
oots0273.gif

oots0274.gif

oots0275.gif

oots0276.gif

oots0277.gif

[/sblock]
cheers,
--N

Last edited:

Remove ads