• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome haters? It's Lockwood's fault!

Nyaricus

First Post
Klaus said:
Well, all I know is that at the onset of 3e, I found gnomes to be underrepresented, which led me to do Gnomania, weekly updates on my Oddballs gallery until I totalled 9 gnomes (plus 2 in the Core Races gallery).

http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/dnd_odd.html
That's awesome! I did not know you were the one and the same - let me say that I'm a hge fan and have been for awhile :)

One of my players wanted to be a gnome monk, so I took that picture, cut off the kama's buisness end and revered the weapon and voila! A gnome with a quarterstaff :D

satori01 said:
and making Half Orcs just plain Orcs
You know, I heard that Monte Cook, looking back over 3.x, said that he now wishes that Orcs were a core race and had barbarian as a favoured class, and that the half-orcs would be the 'inbetween' race (like half-elves are).

ephemeron

Explorer
Aeric said:
Gnomes have never had a niche, not even in 1st edtion AD&D.
I don't know... the Illusionist/Thief option (and everyone I ever saw play a gnome took it) made them tricksters. Not a niche you necessarily want filled in your party, but I'd count it as a niche.

Klaus

First Post
ephemeron said:
I don't know... the Illusionist/Thief option (and everyone I ever saw play a gnome took it) made them tricksters. Not a niche you necessarily want filled in your party, but I'd count it as a niche.
Yep, the gnome niche in 1e was Illusionist or Thief/Illusionist (the only race capable of such a multiclass). Heck, trickster behaviour was described as the common behaviour of the entire race!

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I actually don't like tinker gnomes in games (they can be fine in stories; The Clockwork Hero is an old favorite of mine). I like gnome tinkers, though.

Nyaricus

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
I actually don't like tinker gnomes in games (they can be fine in stories; The Clockwork Hero is an old favorite of mine). I like gnome tinkers, though.
poignantly put, Mista Mayhem.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Klaus said:
Heck, trickster behaviour was described as the common behaviour of the entire race!

Yes. Now, think about the parties that they must throw. Picture, if you will, a gnome wedding feast... Magnificent!

Ariddrake

First Post
I wish there was a good set of rules that help define what the gnome niche is. Like some tinkering feats that had rules for what their devices could do or that they have some inborn illusionary magic. :D

Remove ads