• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnomes and their role in your game

Zimri

First Post
Gnomes are tinkerers (artificers), alchemists, sorcerers. Oh and mechanical portal wrecking, kidnapping, trying to force our gnome to marry them, wanting to rule the world, clanless BBEGs. I tell ya if we ever get back to Faerun that is gonna be one tasty gnome kabob.

LazerPointer

First Post
Gez said:
Gnomes are the wise ones, the scholars, the loremasters.

I think I'm gonna use that.

Very early in the campaign I'm emphasizing the prankster tendencies-- buckets of water over the door and that. Gnome settlements are deep in the forests and they are masters of that terrain. In deeper places the gnomes rarely leave the tree canopy.

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
Nothing at all.

I had originally planned to have gnomes as a homely, agrcultural people with a knack for tinkering, rather like hobbits crossed with the sterotypical back-room boffin, probably all smoking pipes too. As the campaign has developed, the tinkerer/artificer aspect has become the hallmark of the dwarves (well, the race of dwarves that most people meet) and of one major human nation, and that left the gnomes as basically homebodies. Since no-one has played a gnome in the 5-6 years of my world, or ever expressed any interest in them, I'm retconning them out of the world.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
You know, I've always felt the the gnome fave class should have been the wizard while elves should of had the ranger (or arcane casting ranger) as a fave class.

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
The gnomes of my world live in fear of being captured. They disguise themselves as other races and live in isolated seclusion.

One of the darker nations has a bounty of 500gps for any gnome brought to them alive. They use them in some sort of dark ritual. There are relatively few left on the world.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
They and halflings rule the world for the most part. They control trade and commerce keeping the other races subdued by keep things ordered to keep them as the rulers.

Well, that was a concept I was working on.

Deadguy

First Post
In one of my homebrews, Gnomes have no place having gone extinct about a thousand years earlier. In my newest setting, I have very specifically made the Gnomes a race of dwarves that reject the subterranean life and live on the surfacem preferring wooded hills. Thematically, they are the interface between Dwarves and Elves, and are a slightly magical people who are at one with the natural world. I ought to change their favoured class to Druid, but I wanted to stick to core rules.

This is the first time I have used Gnomes where I don't think they are superfluous! :)

Li Shenron

Legend
Nobody has played a gnome character so far in our games :)

I think that what has come up from the campaign (some NPC and some locations involving gnomes) is that they are first of all very few and quite secret, very gealous of their privacy. Mostly a good and peaceful race which is wise and reflective, curious for magic, crafts and inventions but still keeps living in home carved among the roots of giant trees.
It's hard to say since they really made very few appearances in our campaigns, but I'd say they are definitely not oriented towards any class in particular (perhaps I could say less oriented to combat and religious classes).
Oh, and they didn't make any prank so far ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
In my homebrewed campaign, Elves are the noble ruling class wizards and the gnomes are a caste of craftmen and scholars. They've organized themselves into a complex guild/university system with each gnome's reputation depending on his level of education, guild affiliation and personal experience. Gnomes are respected but are seen as a somewhat pompous and self-agrandizing. In this empire, the humans (who are still the most populous race) are the farmers and labourers but also form the bulk of the religious caste.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
None - I've written them out of my world completely. I always felt they were under developed - just a hybrid dwarf-halfling thing. In some worlds they are the 'magical' little folk - that was their role in previous versions of D&D when neither halflings nor dwarves could take mage type classes. Now they're just redundant.

Remove ads