Goblin Slayer TTRPG preorder

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Do we know for sure Goblin Slayer TRPG is based on Sword World, or is it assumed that it is because Group SNE is involved? I looked up a fan translation of Sword World 2.0, and the stats and character sheet are both very different. It was also my understanding that Sword World is a 2d6-based system, but Goblin Slayer TRPG appears to use varying amounts of d6s.

Last edited:

Sword World 2.5 and then modified into the system used. Sword World has exploding dice and such so more than 2d6 is OK.

kenada

Legend
Supporter

Sword World 2.5 and then modified into the system used. Sword World has exploding dice and such so more than 2d6 is OK.
Thanks. When I initially read “based on”, I assumed that it was pretty close to Sword World. She describes the system as “quite different enough” from Sword World in the stream recap and refers to it several times in that reddit thread as being homebrewed from Sword World. I guess it’s like how Starfinder is based on Pathfinder, but it’s still pretty different.

The character sheets flow in very similar ways. Main characteristics flowing into a grid where each influences the others.

I have only had time to skim the book so far, but interesting system and certainly not a D20 system.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
The character sheets flow in very similar ways. Main characteristics flowing into a grid where each influences the others.
I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing how they’re very similar outside of the ways that most sheets are very similar. Compare this to this. The abilities are quite different (Goblin Slayer TRPG has the primary and secondary ability matrix while Sword World has a variant of the traditional six). Sword World 2.5 lacks the attrition and fatigue tracks that Goblin Slayer TRPG has while Goblin Slayer TRPG appears to lack the matrix for calculating modifiers.

Update: I expand my thoughts on this a bit more in post #28.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Also, here’s some news I found while looking for Sword World stuff.

Group SNE is doing a Elden Ring TRPG.

Edit: Guess I should have used the translate function in Safari before posting. It’s an Elden Ring TRPG not a Dark Souls one. I was kind of hoping for another take after the messy release of the 5e-based take.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I’m putting this in a new post because it ended up being much lengthier than I originally planned. I wanted to clarify that I’m not saying they’re unrelated. I mentioned that I thought the abilities were different in my previous post. I did look more closely and noticed a grid on the Sword World sheet, so I went and looked up how it worked in the fan translation.

In Sword World, your race and background gives you three ability scores: skill, mind, and body. You then roll six scores in order (A, B, C, D, E, F) with different numbers of dice depending on race. You add A and B to skill, C and D to body, and E and F to mind. That yields Strenght, Agility, Dexterity, Vitality, Intelligence, and Spirit ability scores.

In Goblin Slayer, you likewise get your primary and secondary scores from your race, but each primary ability is paired with each secondary ability yielding twelve scores instead of six. The range of values is also smaller.

For example, a dwarf fighter in SW would start with 4, 11, and 5 for skill, mind, and body. You would then roll 2d6+6, 1d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6, 2d6+6 for A, B, C, D, E, and F. In Goblin Slayer, you would roll 1d3+2, 1d3, 1d3+2, 1d3−1 for Strength, Psyche, Technique, and Intelligence then combine those with 1d3+1, 1d3+1, and 1d3−1 for Focus, Endurance, and Reflex.

Doing some more skimming, you can start to see the shared DNA in the skill system. They’re both standard value + 2d6 + modifiers. Standard value in Sword World is your level plus your modifier (ability ÷ 6) while it is just your level plus ability in Goblin Slayer. The numbers in Goblin Slayer have been recalibrated since they use different target numbers. An “extremely easy” check in Sword World is 5 while the easiest in Goblin Slayer is 9.

It’s getting late, and I really don’t want to have to read both books without getting any sleep. I would say my post #21 is off the mark and want to thank @Myrdin Potter for the nudge to dig into it a bit deeper. I think Di’s assessment that they are “quite different” and Goblin Slayer is a homebrew on top of Sword World seems right. You can see the similarities, but there are also some core differences. I think if one wants Sword World, then Goblin Slayer will get you close, but it’s still its own thing.

I’m putting this in a new post because it ended up being much lengthier than I originally planned. I wanted to clarify that I’m not saying they’re unrelated. I mentioned that I thought the abilities were different in my previous post. I did look more closely and noticed a grid on the Sword World sheet, so I went and looked up how it worked in the fan translation.

In Sword World, your race and background gives you three ability scores: skill, mind, and body. You then roll six scores in order (A, B, C, D, E, F) with different numbers of dice depending on race. You add A and B to skill, C and D to body, and E and F to mind. That yields Strenght, Agility, Dexterity, Vitality, Intelligence, and Spirit ability scores.

In Goblin Slayer, you likewise get your primary and secondary scores from your race, but each primary ability is paired with each secondary ability yielding twelve scores instead of six. The range of values is also smaller.

For example, a dwarf fighter in SW would start with 4, 11, and 5 for skill, mind, and body. You would then roll 2d6+6, 1d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6, 2d6+6 for A, B, C, D, E, and F. In Goblin Slayer, you would roll 1d3+2, 1d3, 1d3+2, 1d3−1 for Strength, Psyche, Technique, and Intelligence then combine those with 1d3+1, 1d3+1, and 1d3−1 for Focus, Endurance, and Reflex.

Doing some more skimming, you can start to see the shared DNA in the skill system. They’re both standard value + 2d6 + modifiers. Standard value in Sword World is your level plus your modifier (ability ÷ 6) while it is just your level plus ability in Goblin Slayer. The numbers in Goblin Slayer have been recalibrated since they use different target numbers. An “extremely easy” check in Sword World is 5 while the easiest in Goblin Slayer is 9.

It’s getting late, and I really don’t want to have to read both books without getting any sleep. I would say my post #21 is off the mark and want to thank @Myrdin Potter for the nudge to dig into it a bit deeper. I think Di’s assessment that they are “quite different” and Goblin Slayer is a homebrew on top of Sword World seems right. You can see the similarities, but there are also some core differences. I think if one wants Sword World, then Goblin Slayer will get you close, but it’s still its own thing.
When I looked at the characteristic grid and the flow of how it worked at a basic level, they looked very similar. They certainly are not that same but I can see the sword world lineage in the goblin slayer rules.

I do not speak Japanese and the fan translation project is so so, but I could see the similarities.

You see them now as well once you stopped looking for exact marches. They certainly are not the same. I was hoping they would be much closer but they are like cousins instead of even being fraternal twins.

Remove ads