D&D 5E Going from 1st to 5th Edition

dave2008

Legend
I am not advocating that my teenage self was right.

Today, my opinion has soften. I am simply confused why someone would want to run a pre-made world or adventure. I'm sure there are reasons. They simply don't make sense to me.
I get you. Every once and a while I try to or think about using a published adventure. It has never worked for me in any edition I've played (1e, 4e, & 5e). I just don't even understand how to use a published adventure.

I mean... The desire to have a richly detailed and storied world to play in, and the lack of time, inclination, and/or writing ability to do it all one’s self.

Your statement requires an understanding of the word desire (an understanding I, personally, lack). Desire is a concept that continuously mystifies me. I understand people desire different things. But the origins and awakenings of desire - why someone desires one thing and not another - alludes me. Unfortunately my knowledge of psychology and neuroscience is lacking.

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
So after playing OD&D followed by 1st ed computer games (Pool of Radiance...the original...up through Dark Queen of Krynn), followed by Mage: the Ascension and a little Call of Cthulhu, I played no RPGs with real people for about 25 years.

Then I had the chance to join a 5th Edition game. While I had followed along with many of the changes in D&D by reading the books over the years, I was quite surprised nonetheless at many things.

A spectre showed up, and I pooped my pants. I immediately started running away. Imagine my surprise when it hit another party member, and...their max hitpoints went down, temporarily.

I thought, wow. "You used to lose two levels of experience, permanently!"

I also found a lot of the spells I remembered had been nerfed. "Wait, Fire Shield does 2d6 damage to the person attacking you? It used to do double the attacker's damage! Hold Person requires concentration to maintain, and only affects one target? Haste only gives you one extra attack?"

I'm curious to hear what other funny stories of edition 'jumps' people have to relate.
If only 5e was hard! Then people would get used to it instead of games gradually tangling themselves up in easiness!

Thirteenspades

Great Wyrm
Your statement requires an understanding of the word desire (an understanding I, personally, lack). Desire is a concept that continuously mystifies me. I understand people desire different things. But the origins and awakenings of desire - why someone desires one thing and not another - alludes me. Unfortunately my knowledge of psychology and neuroscience is lacking.
That's a PM kind of thing :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well best of luck to you, commander Data.

Retreater

Legend
Sounds like we have some fedora tipping going on here.

But in addition to the time investment to write one's own material, the arguable higher quality of pre-written adventures, I think they are also valuable for the shared community experience. It's like when everyone watched Avengers Endgame and people could talk about that experience, well D&D players can now share their stories from Curse of Strahd or other adventures. But it's like your friend asks you, what did you think of Endgame, and you say, "well, my friends and I just wrote our own script and improvised most of it in our backyard, so we didn't need to watch it."

Remove ads