Going to my first ever convention!

scourger

Explorer
After looking around the con's web site a bit, here are my suggestions:

1. Get a special dice bag with the logo for their breast cancer fundraiser.

2. Find a game you want to play or try and sign up for one.

3. Check out that flea market and dealer room. Both sound like fun.

aco175

Legend
One of the tips I have is to allow others to play their character. I went to a con years ago and one player tried to tell the DM what everyone's character was doing for them. I do not know if this was trying to speed up play and get the module in or if he was more tactician and less something else. Either way I ended up speaking out for my character doing something other than what he wanted. I do not remember how the event ended, but the rest of the table had a better time after he got the hint.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
^ That's just a bad player, aco. It can happen anytime.

I'll be heading to my first con over easter. A small one and I will be running a game I love and feel comfortable with: Paranoia. I'll be scouting my site beforehand as I love to use meta (a termination room) for my games and I am unsure if there will be one.

DumbPaladin

First Post
[MENTION=85476]Katana_Geldar[/MENTION], I hope you had a good time at your convention.

I had a BLAST at KublaCon, and now I'm hooked on conventions -- or maybe just hooked on KublaCon. We'll see.

Thank you everyone for your advice; much of it came in handy and I followed it to the letter, which I'm sure made my time there much better.

Though I really only got over 5 hours of sleep the night before the con ...

--D.P.

ssampier

First Post
Sounds like you are an ideal con goer. For those that don't know:

Tip 1) Personal hygiene: Shower daily, wear clean clothes, brush teeth and comb hair

Tip 2) Clean clothes are really important (in addition to the shower). Yes, everyone wants to see your gamer shirt, but not if it's full of ink, food, grease, or armpitt stains.

Tip 3) Have fun. And make new friends!

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
If you plan on playing in some of the games there, you might want to do some research before hand what kind of game is being offered, and create your own characters before hand. Because if you don't have a character before hand, if the GM doesn't have any prepared for the game, then it will cut into playing time creating a character.

And don't try dirty tricks such as power gaming either.

LordObsidian

First Post
Don't try to do too much--have your fun but know when to call it a night. If the people from Windmill Game Co. go to KublaCon, definitely try to get into one of their dread or ADGNEPSEF555 games.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
My convention advice....

1. Don't over-sign-up for events. If you see something you HAVE to do then go ahead and sign up for it but otherwise leave your schedule free. You can always sign up during the con, especially if you are by yourself and not with a big group trying to all fit in one game.

2. Bring a backpack. You want your hands free while walking around and checking out vendor booths. Also keep the backpack light so you can fit more swag/purchases in it to ferry back to your room.

3. If you sign up for a game that ends up being horrible and NOT-FUN don't by shy about bowing out. Its your weekend!

4. For larger cons, get a room close enough you can walk to and from in a reasonable time. Don't plan on driving in each day.

5. Check out the auction for some great buys, if you are interested in adding to your collection.

6. Check out the dealer floor right before they pack up to leave. Sometimes dealers have great sales because they don't want to move all the product back to the truck.

7. Take an extra day off when you get back home before going back to work to catch up on sleep/laundry/etc.

DS

Remove ads