Votes: 9 15.0%
  • 1000 gold

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 10,000+ gold

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Poll closed .

Kelimar

First Post
Ok, so I am planning on running a homebrew D&D Next campaign starting partway through next month and as I have yet to be able to find a resource referencing this I felt it would be prudent to take my question to these forums, so here it is;

I think it can be safely agreed that the amount of gold an adventurer would commonly see and the amount of gold a villager or a noble would commonly see would vary fairly widely, particularly in the case of a villager when compared to an adventurer. So here is my question, what do you think would be a lot of gold to a villager, or a noble? What do you think would represent say a large expense or a years earnings to a non adventurer NPC in a D&D Next based world?

If torches run silver, and most things are gold, then the number would be quite high. 1000 gold is 3gp a day, 90 gp a month. That doesn't go far if most things cost gold so 10k plus.

I'd vote 5 gp for my own campaign, where I prefer a silver standard.

Kelimar

First Post
The way I view it, silver would probably represent something equivalent to our silver, and gold would be equivalent to dollars.

the Jester

Legend
In my campaign I define the economic value of the gold piece as "enough money to feed a person for a year, albeit poorly".

So, 1 gp would be a lot for the average peasant to have in my campaign. He or she would prolly have about 1d8 cp in his pocket on the average.

Kelimar

First Post
I think 50gp would probably feed someone for about a year in my campaign.

hmm seems this is inciting some thought here and helping me figure out what exactly I want my monetary system to look like.

3e used the silver standard so an untrained labourer earns 1sp per day of work, and a gp represents two-weeks of work.
In this economy 1sp = roughly $50 (minimum wage for a day). And gold is $500. If someone handed you $500 it's a nice bonus but you won't be able to retire. Same with a gold.

If we're slipping up to the gold standard, just bump up all the numbers. Add extra 0s.

Remove ads