Gomez's Masks of Nyarlathotep Game: OOC

Gomez

First Post
KaintheSeeker said:
Was thinking of going for a 'touch' psychic.. my books will be arriving monday.. can I put one up after then?

A touch psychic sound great! :cool: And no rush to build your character.

Gomez

First Post
I have six people interested and that's about my limit. Anyone else who wants to play will be placed on an alternate list encase someone has to drop.

Here is the list of players:

Album Cover X
Andrew D. Gable
Yangnome
Isida Kep'Tukari
KaintheSeeker
Cannibal_Kender

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Actually (feels embarassed), I kind of wanted to do a psychic. I wanted to do a perfectly nice older lady, a member of the Spiritualist Society. She's a bit of a con artist in her "readings," often using good old-fashioned research and acting to tell the clients what they want. But she also does have gifts, real psychic gifts of dowsing and psychometry, that she occasionally uses when her research fails her.

I wish I had been able to post earlier in the day. :( Ah well, I have a backup character in the form of a newsie, an orphaned kid with a paper route that does odd jobs in the evening. He's a bit of a pick-pocket, but also good at doing odd jobs for people and keeping his mouth shut.

Anyway, no chance of two psychics in the group Gomez? :)

Gomez

First Post
Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Actually (feels embarassed), I kind of wanted to do a psychic. I wanted to do a perfectly nice older lady, a member of the Spiritualist Society. She's a bit of a con artist in her "readings," often using good old-fashioned research and acting to tell the clients what they want. But she also does have gifts, real psychic gifts of dowsing and psychometry, that she occasionally uses when her research fails her.

I wish I had been able to post earlier in the day. :( Ah well, I have a backup character in the form of a newsie, an orphaned kid with a paper route that does odd jobs in the evening. He's a bit of a pick-pocket, but also good at doing odd jobs for people and keeping his mouth shut.

Anyway, no chance of two psychics in the group Gomez? :)

Ok, consider my arm twisted! I cannot say no to a kind old lady with psychic powers! Sure we can have two psychics in the group. Just make sure that you don't overlap to much with the other character. And if it is ok with KaintheSeeker! :p

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Well then, I shall skip the psychometry so Kain can concentrate on that and I will pick something else. Perhaps remote viewing or something, or mind reading. It will be something appropriate. I should have my character up shortly. :)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ok, here's my character

Miriam Christina LeGou
Female Human Spiritualist (defense option) 3

Height: 5' 4''
Weight: 220lbs
Hair: Gray
Eyes: violet

Str: 7 (-2)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 9 (-1)
Int: 16 (+3)
Wis: 19 (+4)
Cha: 17 (+3)

Hit Dice: 3d6-3
HP: 12
AC: 10 (+0 Dex)
Init: +0 (+0 Dex)
Speed: 30ft

Current Sanity: 72
Max Sanity: 99
20% sanity: 14

Saves:
Fortitude +2 [+3 base, -1 Con]
Reflex +1 [+1 base, +0 Dex]
Will +7 [+3 base, +4 Wis]

BAB: +1
Melee Atk: +1
Ranged Atk: +0

Skills
Appraise +6 [4 ranks, +2 Int]
Bluff +9 [6 ranks, +3 Cha]
Diplomacy +8 [5 ranks, +3 Cha]
Forgery +6 [4 ranks, +2 Int]
Gather Information +9 [6 ranks, +3 Cha]
Knowledge (occult) +8 [6 ranks, +2 Int]
Knowledge (psychology) +6 [4 ranks, +2 Int]
Psychic Focus +10 [6 ranks, +4 Wis]
Psychoanalysis +9 [5 ranks, +4 Wis]
Research +8 [6 ranks, +2 Int]
Sense Motive +9 [5 ranks, +4 Wis]
Sleight of Hand +5 [5 ranks, +0 Dex]
Speak Language (French) [cc] 2 ranks
Speak Language (Latin) [cc] 2 ranks

Feats:
Sensitive (1st level)
Dowsing (1st level)
Second Sight (3rd level)

Languages
English, French, Latin

Equipment:
Original savings - $6,000. Yearly income - $3,000.
Wardrobe
2 chic designer dresses - $180.00
Brown fox fur coat - $198.00
9 pairs silk stockings - $6.75
4 Rayon elastic corsets - $19.80
7 quality women's dresses - $105.00
Satin charmeuse robe - $10.95
3 pairs leather one-strap slippers - $11.07
Spike heel Parisian shoes - $4.45
Satin turban-style hat - $3.69
10 silk handbags - $49.80
Leather gloves - $1.75
Worsted wool sweater - $9.48
Costume jewelry - $200.00 worth

Rented Flat - $650 per year
Daily maid - $340 per year
Expensive trunk - $13.95
Handle bag - $7.45
Woman's toilet set - $22.95
Dictionary English/German - $0.89
Gold pocket watch - $32.50
Wind-up alarm clock - $3.00
10-volume encyclopedia - $49.00
Unabridged dictionary - $6.75
Umbrella - $1.79

Desk phone - $15.75
Telegraph oufit - $4.25
2 good fountain pens - $6.00
20 pencils - $0.20
10 writing tablets - $2.00
2 sets of stationary - $2.00
6x binoculars - $28.00
Cabinet phonograph - $45.00
12 phonograph records - $4.68

Ouija board - $0.95

Savings left - $3948.15

Appearance: Miriam LeGou is a well dressed old lady that is very conscious of the current fashions. She always keeps her hair fashionably curled and styled, and often checks the fashion magazines from Paris to keep up with the latest trends. Her gray hair is still uncut, and often curled and piled up on top of her head. When outside her house she tends to wear a fashionable, but concealing veil. She is a short woman that shows some signs of having lived a very prosperous life, and some might consider her somewhat portly. Her eyes are a startling shade of violet, and she often keeps her eyes cast downwards to avoid calling undue attention to them.

Personality: Miriam is a very cheerful woman if you were to encounter her at a theater or in a bakery. She's quite happy to chat about the latest fashions, the most current play or movie, or the concert last night. However, you might also get the feeling that she's looking at you, searching for something below the surface.

When Miriam is doing a reading or tracking a ghost, she is a bit more serious, and a great deal more dramatic. She goes on at great lengths about the "spiritual realm" and "vibrations of the upper planes," and liberally spices such talk with phrases and words in Latin, French, and German to make them sound more exotic. She's very persuasive when speaking about the need for money to purchase the rare and exotic components to help "pierce the spiritual veil between this world and the next."

However, when Miriam is actually using her psychic powers, she drops her act entirely. She's entirely serious when actually using her powers, which she rarely does for clients. Mostly she does her real "sightings" only for other members of the Spiritualist Society.

Background: Miriam Barloon was born in the less desireable portion of New York. She was raised the daughter of a laundress and a deliveryman, and had to work very hard alongside her mother and three older sisters in order to support the family. She had very little schooling, mostly at her mother's instance that she learn how to at least read and do a smattering of figuring. Little Miriam picked it up very well however.

At fifteen she married the son of a local butcher, a clever young man who was impressed by her looks. With sheer perserverance, her husband Eugene Tolson managed to get out of the family business and set up his own small but successful telegraph and telegram delivery service. Devout Catholics, the Tolsons had eight children, five of which survived past childhood. Eugene Jr. was looking to follow in his father's footsteps in running the Tolson Telegraph service.

On January 1st, 1893, the entire family was out enjoying the New Year's festivities. It was snowy and icy that day, and a carriage going too fast ended up going out of control and crashing into a crowd of revelers. Seven people died, and amongst them Eugene Tolson and his four youngest children. His wife was also badly injured from a blow to the head and spent two weeks in the hospital, unconscious. Eugene Jr. escaped with only a broken arm.

Eugene Jr. immediately took over the telegraph service while his mother was in the hospital, bearing up admirably under the intense pressure of the job. When Miriam finally came out of her coma to discover most of her family dead, she was distraught. Even more distressing was the fact that occasionally she would see things or feel things that no one else was able to. Confused and thinking she might be insane, or even that the cruel God that had taken her family was punishing her, Miriam sank into depression.

But one day when she was walking home, she had to take a detour around some construction and ended up passing by the relatively new Spiritualist's Society. Intrigued, Miriam stopped in and had some conversation with the men and women there. They performed a healing ceremony for her to help her through her hard times, and told her of their unique and open-minded philosophy. Finding much more succor here than she had at the Church (where the priest had told her to "offer her suffering up to God"), she ended up joining the Society.

Doing a little research about other "psychics" she had seen mentioned in some of the Society's texts, she ended up discovering that she was not crazy, but had aquired new gifts. She was very angry at this, feeling that nebulous "psychic powers" were a poor exchange for her husband and children. When she had told the Society members of her powers, they had been delighted about them. Miriam could easily see how they flocked toward one such as herself, and decided to take a little bit back from the world that had taken so much from her.

Using some of the savings that Eugene had left to her, she rented a flat and moved across town into a much more fashionable district. You had to look as if you were born into the right strata of society in order to attract the right kind of client. To that end she even changed her name to something more suitable, LeGou.

Buying many books on a variety of subjects, particularly those assosciated with the occult and the mind, she educated herself very quickly in the things she would have to know to become a professional "mind reader." A bit of research about her clients was all that was needed to take advantage of those poor fools that wanted reassurance and succor from the "other side."

She has nearly every newspaper from the city and the surrounding area brought to her flat, where she spends the mornings sifting through them, attempting to find tidbits on her potential clients. These clippings she pastes into a series of books she keeps in her room. She also has a fairly extensive collection of informants in the form of maids and hairdressers she uses to keep up on some of the lesser-known pieces of information. Her own maid, Darla, cleans five other flats and talks with a lot of other maids. Her willingness to share everything she hears makes her one of the best paid maids in that part of the city. Also, just listening to the gossip at the hair salon each morning gives Miriam plenty of information.

However, despite her new life of fraud, Miriam's gifts would sometimes not let her rest. More than once she has become aware of a ghost or some other presence in a house. Persuading the owner to pay her steep fees, she has used her gifts to rid homes of haunts more than once. She doesn't like doing it, but she suffers terrible nightmares if she does not.

Her son, Eugene Jr. continues to run his father's business and has little time to spare for his mother. He disapproves of his mother's life as a Spiritualist, but doesn't often press her on it, as he has other concerns. He tries to visit when he can, but often that only ends up being on Christmas and Easter. Miriam, on the other hand, has made a great deal of new friends in the higher strata of society by circulating amongst the New York elite whenever she can.

Last edited:

Album Cover X

First Post
I'm leaning towards a newspaper man of some sort... maybe even a writer of the BBWAA (Baseball Writer's Association of America)... Would combine a couple of my favorite things in baseball and new york newspaper history...

Haven't decided on too much yet as the concept is rather rough but there were plently of NYC papers to choose from back in 1925... although many were combined in 1924 and 1925... but I'm rambling at this point :)

I'll try and get a character up within the next day or so...

Remove ads