• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goobye Johnny!

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Shouldn't that be Goodbye Johnny?

Posted by JeffB - Yesterday at 04:42 PM
I wish him Good Luck in the future, but I honestly cannot say I'm sad to see him go...I think he's done a horrible job w/ the magazines, as well as being condescending to his readership. Hopefully Lisa or whomever takes over the helm can get the mags healthy and useful for a wider variety of consumers.

[Sarcasm]I can't believe you would say this against the mighty Wilson[/sarcsasm]

Needless to say I agree with you. I would however like to know why he left, because I have my own theories.

Son of Thunder

Psion

Adventurer
JeffB sums up my thoughts on the issue as well. Further, re: son of thunder's post, I have my own theories too. He was pretty strident during the Dragon 300 flap, and I wonder if the "changes to requirements for liscencing partners" that WotC is said to have instituted along with the d20 STL changes were too much for him to accept.

JeffB said:
I wish him Good Luck in the future, but I honestly cannot say I'm sad to see him go...I think he's done a horrible job w/ the magazines, as well as being condescending to his readership. Hopefully Lisa or whomever takes over the helm can get the mags healthy and useful for a wider variety of consumers.
Thanks for playing, though... I'm sure we all appreciate the kind words. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I think Dragon has been better the last year or so than it has in a long, long time. Ironically, though, as my 3e product line-up starts to become quite full, my need for Dragon has dropped dramatically.

woodelf

First Post
JeffB said:
Hopefully Lisa or whomever takes over the helm can get the mags healthy and useful for a wider variety of consumers.

You mean like those who play games *besides* D&D3E? [or does it cater to the wider range of D20 System games, now?] Sorry, but i miss the Dragon that was *the* gaming magazine, regardless of what game you played (until Arcane stole the crown). Now i just read RPGnet and The Forge. (And should really get around to renewing my subscription to Pyramid.)

JeffB

Legend
Joshua Dyal said:
Thanks for playing, though... I'm sure we all appreciate the kind words. :rolleyes:.

Had I posted what I really wanted to say about Mr. Wilson's actions and statements while at the helm, my comments would seem quite kind. :D

JeffB

Legend
woodelf said:
You mean like those who play games *besides* D&D3E? [or does it cater to the wider range of D20 System games, now?] Sorry, but i miss the Dragon that was *the* gaming magazine, regardless of what game you played (until Arcane stole the crown). Now i just read RPGnet and The Forge. (And should really get around to renewing my subscription to Pyramid.)

Well I miss those days too..when dragon catered to the whole RPG market, but I meant to cater to the D&D players/Dms who don't want

1)Endless Templated creatures of the month
2) Bucketloads O' new feats
3) Even more odd-ball PrClasses
4) conversions from computer games
5) 10 pages of Sage Advice/PowerPlays, etc
6) Poor fiction
etc. etc.

Those articles are 99.9% useless to me. When they do include "flavor" and or "fluff" and "idea" articles it's often totally innappropriate for my style of play/campaign. Dragon has turned into a monthly rules supplement, which I have no use for.

The few regular features I have liked have gone by the wayside apparently.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Jeff, you hit the nail on the head. But it seems all the d20 secondary books are the same way as well, more feats, more "prestige" classes, and a few more extra feats for good measure. I suppose that's what the D20 player wants.

Remove ads