D&D 4E Good adventure that shows 4E's strengths?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
My aforementioned campaign (run by TequilaSunrise) will soon be drawing to a close as we finish the brief adventure selected to test the abilities of Roll20--we've got, by my estimation, at best one full session before it's done. Since TS has many demands on his time, he's trying to gather together any resources he can find that offer an enjoyable 4e experience with a minimum of heavy lifting on his part, and I've been looking around for anything else I can find. Unfortunately, finding highly-rated 4e adventures is a harder task than you might think, and my google-fu has been exhausted. Here's the explicit list of adventures I've investigated (without being sure of their quality):

Baelard's Legacy
Last Breaths of Ashenport
Lord of the White Field
Remains of the Empire
Rescue at Rivenroar
Reavers of Harkenwold
H2: Thunderspire Labyrinth
Madness at Gardmoor Abbey (which TS already owns, as stated above)
Red Hand of Doom*

Other than the already-frequently-discussed names here (e.g. Gardmoor, Harkenwold) does anyone have any comments on these? And, better yet, does anyone have other competent (not necessarily "strength-showing") adventures they would also recommend? This is mostly for Tequila Sunrise and not myself, since I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I figure it can't hurt to throw out another request.

*Note: I know Red Hand of Doom is originally 3e and would require conversion, but TS already has it, and there are LOTS of resources for converting it, so the level of overhead there is an exception to the general trend.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) And, better yet, does anyone have other competent (not necessarily "strength-showing") adventures they would also recommend? (snip)

Here are some other not-sucking Heroic Tier adventures from Dungeon (but only up to issue 200 - need to look through the other issues):

The Den of Dreus 179
Storm Tower 166
Heathen 155
The Tyrant's Oath 178
Head in the Clouds
Force of Nature 190

(They're in level order.)

D'karr

Adventurer
I have found that conversion of Pathfinder Adventure Paths is quite good at showcasing the strengths if 4e. We are currently playing the Kingmaker campaign and having a pretty good time of it. Of course the DM has had to do the conversion but we've been having fun with what he has done with it. [MENTION=6694190]Myrhdraak[/MENTION] on these forums has made several very good quality conversions of Pathfinder Adventure Paths, including Reign of Winter.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I have found that conversion of Pathfinder Adventure Paths is quite good at showcasing the strengths if 4e. (snip)

An interesting corollary to that is the process of converting Pathfinder adventure paths to 4E ends up producing a much more efficient, effective, and grind-free experience. In short, 4E makes Paizo's APs better! :)

An interesting corollary to that is the process of converting Pathfinder adventure paths to 4E ends up producing a much more efficient, effective, and grind-free experience. In short, 4E makes Paizo's APs better! :)

Paizo has good writing, overall. OTOH I thought the actual encounters in what I read/played needed a lot of work. Of course there are so many APs and I think we only really spent much time on a couple of them, so its hard to generalize.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Paizo has good writing, overall. OTOH I thought the actual encounters in what I read/played needed a lot of work. Of course there are so many APs and I think we only really spent much time on a couple of them, so its hard to generalize.

I should have added: I am actually a fan of Paizo and, even though I have no interest in Pathfinder, I continue to grab almost everything they publish. That said, I still believe that their APs would work better if they were half as long... and written for 4E! :)

Now, back on topic.

As I have been preparing my next campaign that revolves around a FR-based adaptation of Reavers of Harkenwold (short version: Iron Circle becomes the Zhentarim and Harkenwold becomes Daggerdale) I should also give a shout-out to a rather neat little site-based adventure from Dungeon 210 - The Vulture's Feast - that seems like it will work really well with Reavers.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
As I have been preparing my next campaign that revolves around a FR-based adaptation of Reavers of Harkenwold (short version: Iron Circle becomes the Zhentarim and Harkenwold becomes Daggerdale) I should also give a shout-out to a rather neat little site-based adventure from Dungeon 210 - The Vulture's Feast - that seems like it will work really well with Reavers.
Sorry for the necro, but man that adventure does fit beautifully with Reavers.

If only I could read faster! So... much... reading... to do!

Rechan

Adventurer
Thread necro: "Dead By Dawn" is good, imo. :)

Also I have said it from very early on, the 3e module "Speaker of Dreams" works real well. It'd require conversion, but it naturally has that "delve" format going. (Bonus: It works double for Eberron.)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
As an aside the number one thing that rekindled my desire for 4e back when was gamma world. I was buying 4e monster books for gamma world also.

Remove ads